11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2006 4:24 AM by Pete_Hughes

PDF to SWF

bobnapack
      We create concept presentation books for our clients and I'm looking for a way to take the pdf's created from InDesign into an interactive Flash presentation so they can be shared throughout the company via our intranet.
        • 1. Re: PDF to SWF
          Level 7
          I would simply upload the pdf - what do you need flash for? are you needing to add interactivity?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

bobnapack wrote:
          > We create concept presentation books for our clients and I'm looking for a way
          > to take the pdf's created from InDesign into an interactive Flash presentation
          > so they can be shared throughout the company via our intranet.
          >
          • 2. Re: PDF to SWF
            Level 7
            duh - yeah now i see it - you mentioned adding interactivity :p

if these are PSD files why PDF? Not sure how many assets and layers you have but you can export and
            import using PNG-24 format which supports transparency (as does GIF) if you need it - really depends
            on the number of assets and features and interactivity and how good you need it to look and a lot of
            other things that may or may not make this worthwhile.

--> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

bobnapack wrote:
            > We create concept presentation books for our clients and I'm looking for a way
            > to take the pdf's created from InDesign into an interactive Flash presentation
            > so they can be shared throughout the company via our intranet.
            >
            • 3. Re: PDF to SWF
              bobnapack Level 1
              We want the interactivity and the fact that we don't want people to have to download the file in order to view it as you would with a straight pdf. Flash gives us a presentation that will open within the intranet and be actively viewable.
              • 4. Re: PDF to SWF
                Level 7
                I suppose the best way would be to export each image/layer from PSD as a bitmap - import into
                different frames in Flash or create a slideshow in flash and if the exported images are named
                sequentially, jsy import the first one and flash will recognize the sequence and prompt you to
                import them all.

another way would be dynamically with XML and have a shell flash movie with playback buttons load
                images dynamically - could do it with XML and just actionScript - not sure your skill level or even
                budget for making this though.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

bobnapack wrote:
                > We want the interactivity and the fact that we don't want people to have to
                > download the file in order to view it as you would with a straight pdf. Flash
                > gives us a presentation that will open within the intranet and be actively
                > viewable.
                >
                • 5. Re: PDF to SWF
                  bobnapack Level 1
                  They are not psd's. The presentations are created in InDesign and exported to pdf for printing and posting. Looking for a fairly automatic way of doing it since we do quite a number of these presentations. I have seen a software that makes swf files from a PowerPoint presentation and it can be a fairly automatic process to go from pdf to jpg in Photoshop to automatic uploading into PowerPoint, but, that is a single page solution and a lot of these presentations are in spreads. Would certainly be nice to keep them in that format.
                  • 6. Re: PDF to SWF
                    bobnapack Level 1
                    Is there a way of doing this keeping spreads?
                    • 7. Re: PDF to SWF
                      Level 7
                      sorry - i must be tired - you mentioned InDesign/PDF.

try a google search for PDF to SWF:

http://www.swftools.org/

--> www.mudbubble.com
                      --> www.keyframer.com

bobnapack wrote:
                      > They are not psd's. The presentations are created in InDesign and exported to
                      > pdf for printing and posting. Looking for a fairly automatic way of doing it
                      > since we do quite a number of these presentations. I have seen a software that
                      > makes swf files from a PowerPoint presentation and it can be a fairly automatic
                      > process to go from pdf to jpg in Photoshop to automatic uploading into
                      > PowerPoint, but, that is a single page solution and a lot of these
                      > presentations are in spreads. Would certainly be nice to keep them in that
                      > format.
                      >
                      • 8. Re: PDF to SWF
                        Level 7
                        http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/pdf-convert-swf.html

http://www.flashguru.co.uk/pdf-to-swf-convertor/

--> www.mudbubble.com
                        --> www.keyframer.com

bobnapack wrote:
                        > They are not psd's. The presentations are created in InDesign and exported to
                        > pdf for printing and posting. Looking for a fairly automatic way of doing it
                        > since we do quite a number of these presentations. I have seen a software that
                        > makes swf files from a PowerPoint presentation and it can be a fairly automatic
                        > process to go from pdf to jpg in Photoshop to automatic uploading into
                        > PowerPoint, but, that is a single page solution and a lot of these
                        > presentations are in spreads. Would certainly be nice to keep them in that
                        > format.
                        >
                        • 9. Re: PDF to SWF
                          bobnapack Level 1
                          Thanks for all your responses and help with this, Chris. I'll check these sites out.
                          Bob
                          • 10. Re: PDF to SWF
                            at_play Level 1
                            If you just wanted to convert the pdf to SWF format and you have Macromedia Studio 8 it came with a software called Flash Paper which basically does what you want. It installs with the studio and is in the print option for ALL applications which allow you to print to a SWF file OR to PDF.

That is something you may already have installed, check and see.

-
                            • 11. Re: PDF to SWF
                              Pete_Hughes Level 1
                              Flash Paper is your best bet, but if you don't have that, open the PDFs in Illustrator and export as SWF.