4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 6:02 AM by Jed Schneider

handle runtime error 1000: server lost connection/file not found

Jed Schneider
      I have a videoDisplay object that throws a runtime error for file not found on the server, even thought it is there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it throws the error and the program can't recover from the error, so after the error is thrown, the object is stuck until the reload. I've seen examples using the NetStream class to load the file completely before play, and also the NetConnection class.

What is your preferred method for both loading the video, assuming that the user will change the video source multiple times during the session, and handling server lookup errors?
        • 1. Re: handle runtime error 1000: server lost connection/file not found
          rtalton Level 4
          If you are using progressive download, not Flash Media Server, than simply change the source property of the Video Display component when needed.
          The errors you are getting are strange if the file is on the server. You might ask your web hosting company for help.
          • 2. Re: handle runtime error 1000: server lost connection/file not found
            Jed Schneider Level 1
            The error is even stranger since I am using a coldfusion server locally on my machine for testing and the assets (flv movies) are within the root of the project directory. this error occurs on the live server, and while testing in my development environment.

I assume the default when declaring the source attribute in a videodisplay object is "progressive download" is there another method?

I don't know if this is significant or not, but both the variable and the getter method are set as bindable with the metatag.
            • 3. Re: handle runtime error 1000: server lost connection/file not found
              rtalton Level 4
              Yeah, you'd know if you were using FMS.
              If you are using a bindable var for the source string, that's the first place I'd look. Can you try a stripped down example app with no binding? Just switch the source with a button click and see if the server throws the error..I bet it won't
              • 4. Re: handle runtime error 1000: server lost connection/file not found
                Jed Schneider Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: rtalton
                Yeah, you'd know if you were using FMS.
                If you are using a bindable var for the source string, that's the first place I'd look. Can you try a stripped down example app with no binding? Just switch the source with a button click and see if the server throws the error..I bet it won't

I created a project as suggested, and you are correct, button switches the file stream without fail. I did use a bindable private var to store the url of the video source. I ended up tracking down the error as a file name that did not match the url string, so flash really could not find the file on the server! I handled the error with the following to clear the filestream so that it doesn't require a reload of the flash movie to reset the application: