2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 6:37 PM by romaee

Altered files don't upload on 'put' option.

romaee
      When I alter a 'template' file, Dreamweaver indicates that all other pages generated using that template are updated to reflect the changes in the originating template - the 'put' option doesn't recognize these pages as being changed and therefore does not upload them when I select the 'put' option. There are more than 1,600 files on the site (www.e-rcps.com) so 'synchronizing' while comparing every single file on the website with the local file is not an option.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter
        • 1. Re: Altered files don't upload on 'put' option.
          Level 7
          Peter, if you search this forum for "templates" you'll find many identical
          recommendations - don't use templates on sites that have more than ~50-100
          pages. It's just too much manipulation of files, especially with regard to
          the uploading.

Now - when you make your changes to the template are these files actually
          updated? If so, you can catch them with the EDIT | Select Recently Modified
          option on the Files panel's context menu (upper, right-hand corner).

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"romaee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glllpn$i71$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > When I alter a 'template' file, Dreamweaver indicates that all other pages
          > generated using that template are updated to reflect the changes in the
          > originating template - the 'put' option doesn't recognize these pages as
          > being
          > changed and therefore does not upload them when I select the 'put' option.
          > There are more than 1,600 files on the site (www.e-rcps.com) so
          > 'synchronizing'
          > while comparing every single file on the website with the local file is
          > not an
          > option.
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions.
          >
          > Peter
          >

• 2. Re: Altered files don't upload on 'put' option.
            romaee Level 1
            Thanks for replying - I have an 8 year old recipe site with some 460 recipes on it - all .shtml files, as that's the way the site started.

I've looked into WordPress and Drupal, but changing to that system loses me the 1,600 plus links that already exist to my site.... and switching to a PHP driven site loses me the shtml files.... so that leaves me with dreamweaver and templates. I've been using Homesite with 'search and replace' but that's even worse than a big, template-driven site.

Peter