11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 1:11 PM by ColoradoGuy76

Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem

ColoradoGuy76
      Hello, all.

I've posted this on Mozillazine forums, but have had no responses. Another FireFox forum site only results in being spammed. So, hopefully, I can get some help here, as I am using Dreamweaver CS4.

I've inherited a site that was very complexly and not very reliably designed. I am doing this 100% volunteer, so a total redesign is out of the question. In any case, the main page consists of a top banner, a pull-down menu (created with MaxiMenu for Dreamweaver plugin), a sidebar, and a content iFrame.

Here is the problem (though there is another formatting problem in MSIE I'll try to address later):

I've tested the pull-down menu with success in the following browsers (latest versions as of about a week ago on all, Mac=OS X 10.5.6, XP=Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3):

Safari - Mac
      Firefox - Mac
      Camino - Mac
      Opera - Mac
      Internet Explorer - XP

However, in FireFox 3.0.x for Windows XP, the pull-down menu does not work "over" the transparent iFrame. This appears to be a bug in FireFox, so there's nothing I know that I can do with the code.

So, I'm asking you all - is there a better way to do this? I really can't redesign 1000s of pages to get rid of frames altogether, and the pull-down menu is fairly vital for the site organization.

Suggestions?

The site main page is:

http://www.scoutingforall.org/data/home.html
        • 1. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
          Level 7
          I'm not seeing this effect in FF3x/Vista or FF3x/OS10.5.6. But in general,
          yes, I'd get rid of the iframe. Why? It's where all of your relevant
          content is - this means that you could get a search engine hit to one of the
          iframe pages stand alone, without the surrounding content. And, it just
          looks, well, bad.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"ColoradoGuy76" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glbl27$638$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello, all.
          >
          > I've posted this on Mozillazine forums, but have had no responses.
          > Another
          > FireFox forum site only results in being spammed. So, hopefully, I can
          > get
          > some help here, as I am using Dreamweaver CS4.
          >
          > I've inherited a site that was very complexly and not very reliably
          > designed.
          > I am doing this 100% volunteer, so a total redesign is out of the
          > question. In
          > any case, the main page consists of a top banner, a pull-down menu
          > (created
          > with MaxiMenu for Dreamweaver plugin), a sidebar, and a content iFrame.
          >
          > Here is the problem (though there is another formatting problem in MSIE
          > I'll
          > try to address later):
          >
          > I've tested the pull-down menu with success in the following
          > browsers
          > (latest versions as of about a week ago on all, Mac=OS X 10.5.6,
          > XP=Windows XP
          > Professional, Service Pack 3):
          >
          > Safari - Mac
          > Firefox - Mac
          > Camino - Mac
          > Opera - Mac
          > Internet Explorer - XP
          >
          > However, in FireFox 3.0.x for Windows XP, the pull-down menu does not work
          > "over" the transparent iFrame. This appears to be a bug in FireFox, so
          > there's
          > nothing I know that I can do with the code.
          >
          > So, I'm asking you all - is there a better way to do this? I really can't
          > redesign 1000s of pages to get rid of frames altogether, and the pull-down
          > menu
          > is fairly vital for the site organization.
          >
          > Suggestions?
          >
          > The site main page is:
          >
          > http://www.scoutingforall.org/data/home.html
          >

• 2. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
            bregent Most Valuable Participant
            >I'm not seeing this effect in FF3x/Vista or FF3x/OS10.5.6.

I think the problem is that the submenu does appear, but if you try to select an item it either doesn't work or the pull down disappears. I agree, getting rid of the iframe is the best course of action (it's scrollbar hell there now), and probably not too difficult if you already know how to use server side includes.
            • 3. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
              ColoradoGuy76 Level 1
              Thanks for the input. I've decided that the iFrame really has to go.

I know *nothing* about SSI except what it stands for. How would this help me to get rid of this nasty iFrame? I thought I was looking at about a million hours of cut&paste into template-based pages to fix this problem.

Suggestions? I'm not a web design expert, but I can follow instructions.
              • 4. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                ColoradoGuy76 Level 1

I know *nothing* about SSI except what it stands for. How would this help me to get rid of this nasty iFrame? I thought I was looking at about a million hours of cut&paste into template-based pages to fix this problem.

• 5. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                  ColoradoGuy76 Level 1

• 6. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                    ColoradoGuy76 Level 1
                    Sorry for the multiple messages above. Lag!! If an administrator sees this, please delete the duplicates.

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                      You will have to do some cutting and pasting but it shouldn't be too bad. The idea behind SSI is that you put code that is common to all or several pages on the site into include files. You then 'include' those ssi pages in your other pages. The first thing to do is to create a new page layout that has your main content in the center of the page, but without the iframe. Then isolate the common elements like the header, horiz menu, LH News column, and footer and put those into include files. Then just reference those in your pages using the include directive. So you will probably end up with 3 or 4 include pages along with however many parent pages you are currently referencing in your iframe. Once you have the new layout designed without the iframe, the rest of the process shouldn't take more than a few hours (how many total pages are there?) . One point to keep in mind is that only the parent pages can have head, html and body tags. The included pages are just little snippets of html that get included into the parent page.

Here's an intro, but search the web for more examples:
                      http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/ssiprimer.shtml
                      • 8. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                        ColoradoGuy76 Level 1
                        Thanks for the input. There are about 2000 pages, and I don't see how this would be any easier than creating a template in Dreamweaver and cut and pasting the content into the new template(s). In fact, this seems a lot harder, and will require many, many hours of study on my part to learn how to do it.

Is there any reason to shy away from templates? I know how to do that now, and I don't have much time to devote to this site, so I'd rather put it into actually getting stuff done rather than learning how to do it.
                        • 9. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                          Level 7
                          Using Templates runs out of practical benefit at about 50-100 pages. Why?
                          Because you spend all of your time uploading files when you have so many
                          pages.

I frankly think you are a bit stuck....

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                          ==================
                          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          ==================

"ColoradoGuy76" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:glfj7k$2a0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Thanks for the input. There are about 2000 pages, and I don't see how
                          > this
                          > would be any easier than creating a template in Dreamweaver and cut and
                          > pasting
                          > the content into the new template(s). In fact, this seems a lot harder,
                          > and
                          > will require many, many hours of study on my part to learn how to do it.
                          >
                          > Is there any reason to shy away from templates? I know how to do that
                          > now,
                          > and I don't have much time to devote to this site, so I'd rather put it
                          > into
                          > actually getting stuff done rather than learning how to do it.
                          >

• 10. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                            >Thanks for the input. There are about 2000 pages, and I don't see how this would
                            >be any easier than creating a template in Dreamweaver and cut and pasting the
                            >content into the new template(s). In fact, this seems a lot harder, and will require
                            >many, many hours of study on my part to learn how to do it.

OK, I had no idea there were that many pages. I had estimated a few dozen from a cursory look at the site. Making any change will be a big job at this point. Now, the difference between templates and SSI's is that if you need to make a change any changes to template that has 2000 child pages, you need to update and upload all 2000 pages. With SSI's you only need to make the change to the included file and upload that. In fact, a good architecture often includes both templates and SSI's.

But for now, you may want to switch focus back to getting the menu to work until you (or someone else) has more time to fix the site. Sorry but I'm not exactly sure why it is failing in FF.
                            • 11. Re: Transparent iFrame / Pull-Down Menu Problem
                              ColoradoGuy76 Level 1
                              Bregent,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there's no making it work... it's the iFrame that's the problem, not the menu. I've spent about 100 hours in the last two months - more than double what I have allocated to manage this site, trying to get it to work. It looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and start working on it.

I don't mind having to update all the pages when the template is updated. I will probably eventually change the TEMPLATE to include SSI's for certain things, but I just don't have the time or the patience during the semester to try to learn something so completely new and keep up with my schoolwork as well.

There doesn't happen to be an easy way to insert page data into a new template? Or am I just going to have to update it ten or twenty (of the most current) pages at a time?