5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2006 8:31 AM by Datredigital

CD Program Expiration

Datredigital Level 1
      Hi all,
      I'm looking for a Lingo script or behavior or Xtra that will let me tell my CD program to stop playing after a certain date. I've seen one script which tells the program to expire after 30 or 60 days, but the client wants to prevent playback of a given video in my Director program by a particular date, say September 1 2006. Has anyone tried this before? I think I can do this by using the viewer's computer date/time, but I'm not sure of the script to use or where to put it in the Director project. Any suggestions welcomed.
        • 1. Re: CD Program Expiration
          Level 7
          The systemDate command will tell you what the computer thinks the date is.

put the systemDate
          -- date( 2006, 7, 28 )

put the systemDate>date(2006,9,1) --that is the date of Sept 1,2006

Thus, in your startMovie handler, you can put something like this:

if the systemDate>date(2006,9,1) then halt

and then the program will stop running on that date (actually on the day
          after... you can change the > to >= if you don't want it to run on the 1st)

Bear in mind of course that merely changing the date on your computer
          will "beat" this protection scheme.
          • 2. Re: CD Program Expiration
            Level 7

Ah, now that I reread your question, it is to block the paying of a
            video after a date, not make the projector stop. In that case, wherever
            you have the code for the playing of the video, add the date check there

basically

if the systemDate<date(2006,9,1) then
            --play the video
            else
            alert "Sorry the time limit has expired"
            end if
            • 3. Re: CD Program Expiration
              Datredigital Level 1
              Sorry for my confusing post. Yes they want a video to stop playing within the projector on a given date, say Sept. 1. I inserted the code into the frame script that is controlling the video and I'm getting a Script error:
              Handler definition expected. if? the systemDate<date(2003,9,1)then

I've been working in Director for ten years but must admit I'm awful with Lingo so I apologize if I've make a basic error. To me it looks like the Lingo is asking if the computer system date is less than 9/1/2006, then play the video, otherwise send an alert your time has expired.

Am I missing something?
              • 4. Re: CD Program Expiration
                Level 7
                You need to put that script inside a handler, like 'on mouseUp me' or
                something. It depends how your program works. If you have for instance
                a button that you click in order to play the movie, then the button gets
                this script:

on mouseUp me
                --play the video
                else
                end if
                end

If you have it setup where the movie start automatically, then put this
                script on the movie sprite

on beginSprite me
                --play the video (if the movie starts on its own, you don't need
                anything here)
                else
                go "someOtherFrame" --Change this to wherever you want to go
                end if
                end
                • 5. Re: CD Program Expiration
                  Datredigital Level 1
                  Thank you very much Mike it worked! I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
                  -Melissa