7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2006 8:29 AM by Rothrock

Flash 8 Pro can't code for flash 9 and AS 3?

at_play Level 1
      Original post here was deleted before responses showed up to this thread. Since there were responses hours after I deleted this I am reinstating it with what the thread is about so others that may have similar question can see what responses there are.

Sorry for confusion here.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
          Level 7
          Not an extension, but a free "preview release" of Flash Pro 9 IDE, here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash9as3preview/

secret_warrior wrote:
          > Will there be an extension released that allows FP 8 Pro users to code and
          > design for Flash Player 9+ and AS 3?
          >
          • 2. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
            Level 7
            Unlike AS1 vs AS2 .. AS3 is completely different. Flash 8 just isn't
            capable of compiling to AS3. I don't know if Adobe will make an update to
            Flash 8 to allow for AS3 .. but it would be much more likely (and sensible
            for them) to make it Flash 9 (as its a big change to scripting performance
            and abilities).
            --
            Jeckyl

• 3. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
              at_play Level 1
              Hmmm.. I thought my post was whiney and wasn't worth it so I deleted it. After I did, there was responses hours later. I feel like an idiot now. LOL

Thank you for your replies. I was unsure really what was going on, it looks like Adobe is taking flash to a new level and when they new version comes out next year if I can afford it, will be forced to invest in it. I think it is a bit much to have to reinvest in entire new software every one or two years though I understand now about the total redesign of flash engine.

For those that didn't get to read my post that started this thread. I asked if us Flash Pro 8 users are out of luck with beign able to use the flash 9 and AS 3 features. I thought it would be nice to have a extension that allows version 8 to use version 9+ but as the responses and what I have read, it is an entirely different animal.

I hope though that once 9 comes out next year, the IDE not the player which came out few days ago, that it wil be software that will last more than a year or two without needing to upgrade to the next thing. The turn around on technology and trashing the old is a bit too fast for me especially when it means multiple thousand dollar investments. I guess upgrade discounts help..

Anyway that was what my original thread was about.

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
                Level 7
                > Will there be an extension released that allows FP 8 Pro users to code and
                > design for Flash Player 9+ and AS 3?

Yep - Flash 9 :) - slated for release 'sometime' in 2007.

> Can we code in FP 8 Pro for AS 3?

No. However, you can of course publish for FOP, and it *should* run fine
                under FP9, as FP9 includes both the new version 2 VM and version 1.

> Hmmm.. I thought my post was whiney and wasn't worth it so I deleted it.
                > After I did, there was responses hours later. I feel like an idiot now.
                LOL

Deleting only works on the web forum - those of us accessing via NNTP only
                see the original post, not any edits or deletions. Don;t worry - far from
                the whiniest post I've seen ;)

--
                -------------------------------
                Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail

• 5. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
                  at_play Level 1
                  Hello Peter.

Ummm... what's FOP?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Flah 8 Pro & Player 9 + AS 3
                    Level 7
                    > Ummm... what's FOP?

Er - a typo :). Sorry, should have read FP8 (Flash Player 8)

--
                    Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail