4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 11:08 AM by markdemich

Air App setting CD drive location on install

markdemich Level 1
      I'm developing an Air application that will be delivered on a CD. The idea is that once it's installed, it will access media files from the CD. So for this to work I need a way to figure out the cd path during install and somehow store that information on client so the app will know where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this?
        • 1. Re: Air App setting CD drive location on install
          Joe ... Ward Level 4
          You can't do this during the install. When you app starts up, you could scan the available drives for a known file on your CD. You can save this information to a configuration file, but you should expect the check to fail, if for example, the cd is removed.
          • 2. Re: Air App setting CD drive location on install
            markdemich Level 1
            I suspected that might be the answer. I guess the problem is that I don't know what drive or drives the CD will be in. So I guess I would just, enumerate all drives and look for the file on each one. Ok, that sounds like a plan. I can even have a fallback to popup a dialog for the user to look for it. Thanks.

I have another question though. So After installing the app is now on the harddrive. However, it's not alway obvious to the novice user as to what they need to do to run the app tomorrow. I previous version of the product was just a bunch of html files on a CD and for windows I used an autorun.inf file that automatically brought up start.html (on the CD) using the default browser. So now with an Air app can anyone think of a way to easily start the app after it's been installed. In a perfect world, I would like it to start automatically when the CD is inserted.
            • 3. Re: Air App setting CD drive location on install
              flexstone Level 1
              From what I have seen in AIR installs the application automatically opens once the installation completes.
              • 4. Re: Air App setting CD drive location on install
                markdemich Level 1
                Not really. It gives you the option to run it. You don't have to. Plus, I'm asking about coming back days later after the app is installed. My users will put their CD in because there is media content on the CD that they will need to run the app (also, remember, they won't have internet access). I'm looking for a way to have them easily start the Air app in this case.