6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2006 5:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

Stand-alone flash player

bigj9901 Level 1
      Ok... I went to adobe.com and click to download the latest version of flash player(9). I published a flash file published under flash player 8 settings and used the new On2 VP6 to encode some video. I export a .swf and an HTML file.

When i open the HTML file the movie plays fine. When i try an just dbl click the.swf to open it on my computer without HTML it doesn't play, and my stand alone flash player says version 7 at the top of it. Is there a seprate update for the stand-alone player? If so, where can i find it?

Thanks,
      Jeremy
        • 1. Re: Stand-alone flash player
          Level 7
          The standalone player is *only* available as part of the Flash authoring
          IDE. What you have downloaded is the Flash Player 9 plug-in.

--
          -------------------------------
          Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail

• 2. Re: Stand-alone flash player
            bigj9901 Level 1
            OK so how do get it?
            • 3. Re: Stand-alone flash player
              stephenhorne100
              Maybe you can't, since Flash 9 isn't due for release until some time in 2007. Flex creates content that uses the Flash 9 player IIRC, but since it's a web app development thing that probably only means the plugin - though you could check if you're that desperate.

You could buy Flash 8 for the v8 player, but if its only the standalone player you want, it's not exactly a value-for-money option.

There's this whole thing where the standalone player is seen as a development tool because it can create 'projector' executables. Why they can't just take out the projector-creating stuff I don't know.
              • 4. Re: Stand-alone flash player
                Level 7
                > OK so how do get it?

You could try downloading the Flash 9 public alpha - that may contain the
                standalone Flash 9 player.

More to the point, why do you *need* it? You state in your post that you are
                publishing for Flash 8, which means 2 things to me:
                1. You need the Flash 8 standalone player
                2. You have it as if you are publishing to Flash 8, you must have installed
                Flash 8, and will therefore have the Flash 8 standalone player.

--
                Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail

• 5. Re: Stand-alone flash player
                  bigj9901 Level 1
                  Then why when I view a swf in the stand alone player does it say flash player 7 at the top. It also doesn't play the movie when i publish with settings that are specific to flash 8.

I thought i would have flash player 8 since I had flash 8 aswell.

Thanks
                  Jeremy
                  • 6. Re: Stand-alone flash player
                    Level 7
                    You probably have BOTH players

Find the players folder under flash 8 in the macromedia folder in your
                    program files area and run the version 8 standalone flash player exe. (for
                    me that is C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\Players\SAFlashPlayer.exe ).
                    That will register it as the player for SWF files (instead of the version 7
                    player that is doing it for you now).
                    --
                    Jeckyl