10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 5:34 AM by CBT Developer

Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser text

revurb
      Since I upgraded to windows XP, I've enjoyed the anti aliased text that IE or Mozilla renders. Same goes for my mac with Safari. The text is much better, however, I cannot accurately replicate that look with fireworks. I have used fireworks for years to mockup web pages for clients, and accuracy always matters. I feel it is important to represent the design exactly as it will look when constructed into a real web page. Now I cant. I downloaded the trial of Fireworks 8 thinking they must have updated the "system anti alias" to match the newer operating systems' method of anti aliasing, but the result was the same as before. It looks like when I was running older operating systems and older browsers. Custom anti alias cannot replicate this look either, although it gets close, its not the same. Characters are actually different widths, etc.

Does anyone know of an extension that will plug in to fix this, or any other method to make this happen? thanks!
        • 1. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser   text
          Level 7
          revurb wrote:

> Since I upgraded to windows XP, I've enjoyed the anti aliased text that IE or
          > Mozilla renders. Same goes for my mac with Safari. The text is much better,
          > however, I cannot accurately replicate that look with fireworks. I have used
          > fireworks for years to mockup web pages for clients, and accuracy always
          > matters.

Are you sure all of your clients use ClearType antialiasing? I use XP
          and don't turn it on because it makes text look fuzzy on my CRT monitor.
          The Fireworks "system" antialiasing looks exactly right to me.

To get the look you want, add a Gaussian blur. The setting should be
          around .05.

--
          Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser   text
            revurb Level 1
            Thanks for your response. I believe that MOST of our clients use whatever comes set as the default on their operating system. The industry that we service historically updates their computers often, so I believe MOST of our clients are running the newest operating systems with default settings. My machine (with XP) came default this way.

The gaussian blur is a good tip, however it converts all text to bitmap and renders it un-editable. It also doesnt replicate the look accurately.

For now, we will continue designing with the original "system anti-alias" for our clients.

thanks.
            • 3. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser     text
              Level 7
              Clear Type may be turned on by default on laptops, but it isn't on
              desktop machines. You have to turn it on manually.

> The gaussian blur is a good tip, however it converts all text to bitmap

Not if you use the live filter version of the blur. Click on the Add
              Live filter button [+] on the Property inspector and choose Blur >
              Gaussian Blur.

--
              Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
              Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
              • 4. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser     text
                revurb Level 1
                Thank you very much for the tips. Very helpful!
                • 5. Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser text
                  CBT Developer
                  I know this is an old thread, but I have relevant information - so I'll post it anyway. I don't use Gaussian Blur because ClearType only antialiases horizontally, but the Gaussian Blur - even at only 0.5 - works both ways. So, your end result is text that is too blurry.

To simulate ClearType in Fireworks (emphasis on 'simulate') do the following:
                  1. Add Text with the Text Tool.
                  2. Select that Text and add the following Filters - in order:
                  a. Inner Shadow
                  i. Distance 1.
                  ii. Opacity 60%.
                  iii. Color #FF0000.
                  iv. Softness 0.
                  v. Angle 180.
                  vi. Knock out Not Checked.
                  b. Inner Shadow
                  i. Distance 1.
                  ii. Opacity 50%.
                  iii. Color #0000FF.
                  iv. Softness 0.
                  v. Angle 0.
                  c. Drop Shadow
                  i. Distance 1.
                  ii. Opacity 50%.
                  iii. Color #ECB700.
                  iv. Softness 0.
                  v. Angle 180.
                  d. Drop Shadow
                  i. Distance 1.
                  ii. Opacity 50%.
                  iii. Color #00F2FF.
                  iv. Softness 0.
                  v. Angle 0.
                  e. Add Noise
                  i. Amount 20.
                  ii. Color Not Checked.

It's not really ClearType, but close. There is only an illusion of antialiasing. It looks especially good closeup, and should be used on a lighter background. ClearType flips the red and blue for lighter than gray text, so you can flip all the angles above by 180 degrees to simulate that as well.

Forgot to mention, the Text should have No Anti-Alias - that will almost take care of the variable width problem when compared to ClearType.
                  • 6. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser text
                    Level 7
                    I might be wrong, but if you set Anti-Aliasing to "system" and then limit
                    your fonts to Windows screen fonts, including the nifty new Calibri and
                    Cambria, you will get what looks like Clear Type. See test:

http://www.projectseven.com/alias-test.htm

You need to view this page in Vista or XP with Clear Type on.

--
                    Al Sparber - PVII
                    Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                    Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

"CBT Developer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fovmg4$q5p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I know this is an old thread, but I have relevant information - so I'll
                    >post it
                    > anyway. I don't use Gaussian Blur because ClearType only antialiases
                    > horizontally, but the Gaussian Blur - even at only 0.5 - works both ways.
                    > So,
                    > your end result is text that is too blurry.

• 7. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser text
                      Level 7
                      I might be wrong, but if you set Anti-Aliasing to "system" and then limit
                      your fonts to Windows screen fonts, including the nifty new Calibri and
                      Cambria, you will get what looks like Clear Type. See test:

http://www.projectseven.com/alias-test.htm

You need to view this page in Vista or XP with Clear Type on.

--
                      Al Sparber - PVII
                      Extending Dreamweaver - Nav Systems | Galleries | Widgets
                      Authors: "42nd Street: Mastering the Art of CSS Design"

"CBT Developer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:fovmg4$q5p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I know this is an old thread, but I have relevant information - so I'll
                      >post it
                      > anyway. I don't use Gaussian Blur because ClearType only antialiases
                      > horizontally, but the Gaussian Blur - even at only 0.5 - works both ways.
                      > So,
                      > your end result is text that is too blurry.

• 8. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser text
                        CBT Developer Level 1
                        The problem is that I currently, and the original poster at the time, were limited by only having Fireworks (or Studio) 8. No CS3 here, yet. Using the System Anti-Alias option for Arial (for example) doesn't even turn on Anti-Aliasing until the font size is 18 or higher. If the purpose in both our cases was to mockup web site designs, or similar, and those designs required text to be built to give the business partner a good idea of how the final product would look... then simple System Anti-Alias won't work.

Calibri is a great font, and System Anti-Alias handles that at any size - but it's not Arial, which - at this point - the design requires. I wonder if Calibri is a default font installed with Windows XP or higher. I have it, but never installed it on my own - so maybe it was there all along. If so, it would be worth trying to design using that font since most users would also have that font.

Otherwise, if CS3 solves the issue, then that's one more reason to upgrade.
                        • 9. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser   text
                          Level 7
                          CBT Developer wrote:
                          > The problem is that I currently, and the original poster at the time, were
                          > limited by only having Fireworks (or Studio) 8. No CS3 here, yet. Using the
                          > System Anti-Alias option for Arial (for example) doesn't even turn on
                          > Anti-Aliasing until the font size is 18 or higher. If the purpose in both our
                          > cases was to mockup web site designs, or similar, and those designs required
                          > text to be built to give the business partner a good idea of how the final
                          > product would look... then simple System Anti-Alias won't work.
                          >
                          > Calibri is a great font, and System Anti-Alias handles that at any size - but
                          > it's not Arial, which - at this point - the design requires. I wonder if
                          > Calibri is a default font installed with Windows XP or higher. I have it, but
                          > never installed it on my own - so maybe it was there all along. If so, it
                          > would be worth trying to design using that font since most users would also
                          > have that font.
                          >
                          > Otherwise, if CS3 solves the issue, then that's one more reason to upgrade.
                          >

There has been no change to how FW CS3 handles fonts. It could not be
                          included in the last released in a stable fashion, so the font engine
                          was left alone. Have you tried setting a custom anti-alias?

That said, there are lots of other reasons to upgrade to CS3.

--
                          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                          http://www.communityMX.com/
                          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                          ---
                          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                          ---
                          See my work on Flickr
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                          • 10. Re: Anti Alias doesnt match new operating system browser   text
                            CBT Developer Level 1
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            There has been no change to how FW CS3 handles fonts. It could not be
                            included in the last released in a stable fashion, so the font engine
                            was left alone. Have you tried setting a custom anti-alias?

That said, there are lots of other reasons to upgrade to CS3.

Custom Anti-Alias samples the font outlines differently than ClearType - so your font outlines never appear the same, or really not even close at all in some cases. The widths, for example, change to the point of reflowing the document or screen layout, etc. - which can be really important from a web site designer or app designer point-of-view.

I could mess with the Custom Anti-Alias settings forever, but the results are not ClearType.