5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 6:20 AM by dearset

Getting Flex Programming Work

dearset
      Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask here!!!
      The company where I was working closed at the beginning of December. Instead of getting another job I would like to try the independant contractor route I was wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers or suggestions on how best to promote Flex development skills and the type of companies to approach. I was thinking of approaching computer service companies and web development companies.

Thanks

Paul S.
        • 1. Re: Getting Flex Programming Work
          John Hall Level 4
          I don't have specific suggestions, but it's not a stupid question for here. Lots of folks are in that same category. I forget the name of some of the top one, but there are many posting boards like

http://jobs.freelanceswitch.com/jobs/2471

that advertise for projects, both shortterm and longterm. Now, having said that, I'm fortunate enough to still have my job for the time being so other freelancers on the board might suggest good sites.
          • 2. Re: Getting Flex Programming Work
            Level 7

"John Hall" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:glm96n$a9e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I don't have specific suggestions, but it's not a stupid question for here.
            > Lots of folks are in that same category. I forget the name of some of the
            > top
            > one, but there are many posting boards like
            >
            > http://jobs.freelanceswitch.com/jobs/2471
            >
            > that advertise for projects, both shortterm and longterm. Now, having said
            > that, I'm fortunate enough to still have my job for the time being so
            > other
            > freelancers on the board might suggest good sites.

I answer a bunch of questions on here all the time, because when I go for a
            job for someone who doesn't have direct experience that I actually know what
            I'm talking about, they look at the short time I've been doing Flex and
            assume I'm a newbie.

• 3. Re: Getting Flex Programming Work
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6
              You can check the sites like John mentioned. You could also team up with one or more other local Flex developers who have more experience to share some jobs.

Another possibility is to find web sites you think you can add value to by reimplementing parts of it in Flex. Come up with some ideas and then approach the company directly (cold calling). Initially pick companies you don't really expect to go for it, so you can work out your sales script. It will give you experience in analyzing work, developing sales pitches, and then delivering them. You might even be able to pick up some Flex training gigs along the way, which can also lead to Flex consulting gigs.

Read Donald Trump's book "Think Big and Kick ***" for inspiration. I don't believe in all he says, but your mindset is often what limits or propells you.
              • 5. Re: Getting Flex Programming Work
                dearset Level 1
                Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I found the links very useful, and I also like the idea of making improvement suggestions to certain web sites.

Again thanks!!

Paul S.