1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 28, 2006 1:22 PM by peterent

screen size

Alistair4267
      hello

i am, new to Adobe Flex 2, i downloaded the trial the other day and its GREAT. just need to know if i am working in "1280 x 1024 resolution will the people who are viewing my page have trouble if they are using a Lower resolution ????

if so, could i write a simple script to get the users screen size and change accordingly ??

many thanks

alistair
        • 1. Re: screen size
          peterent Level 2
          You do have to take into account the most likely screen size your users will have. The new standard, I believe, is 1024x768, but don't take my word for it.

With Flex you can set your Application tag to have width="100%" height="100%" and then it will fully occupy whatever space the Flash Player is given on the web page. If you are using the generated HTML wrapper page from either Flex Builder 2 or the web-tier compiler, then the entire page is the Flash Player.

If you use the layout positioning properties (eg, top="10" left="10" right="10") then the screen won't matter as much; or rather, you won't have to worry about it as much as the components will size and position themselves as the space allows.

That said, you can preset the Application to a likely small size (width="800" height="600") and develop your application accordingly, but still use positioning so it takes advantage of larger screen sizes. Then change back to width="100%" height="100%" before you release it on the world.

The flash.system.Capabilities class can give you more specific information if you need it.