3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2006 8:26 PM by ensamblador

What is the maxium number a vector can handle

Roofy Level 1
      Hi,
      Well since I have not recieved any replies as of yet to my other question, and since I need to push my project along, I decided to use the behaviour scripts given at director-online/havok site, and I applied them to my car. In additioin, I am also trying to use the create terrain behaviour that is included in the raycast jeep demo. However, I would like to set my terrain size to 6000 units in width and 6000 units in depth. So when I attach the behaviour to the 3d scene, the getPropertyDescriptionList dialog window opens to allow you to set the terrain's size, which it asks you to set the upper left corner vector which I set it to vector(3000, 0, -3000) and then it asks you to set the lower right coner vector which I set this to vector(-3000, 0, 3000) which in total should give me the size of 6000 units in width and 6000 units in depth. However, after I click on the "OK" button my values change to the following...

upper left corner = vector(3.00000e3, 0, -3.00000e3)
      lower right corner = vector(-3.00000e3, 0, 3.00000e3)

In addition, not only that the whole number changed from 3000 to 3, but the biggest problem is that because the end values have the e3 added to it I get a script error when I play the movie. So I was wondering if there is a maximum number that a vector unit can handle? If so then is there another type of format I could use that handle larger numbers? Or is this a bug in Director 8.51. Yeah I know, I am way behind in the software versions, but I do not have $1200 to shovle out for a new version of Director.
        • 1. Re: What is the maxium number a vector can handle
          ensamblador
          first of all, scientific notation:

3.00000e3=3.00000*power(10,3)=3.00000*1000=3000

simply write in the message window:
          put 3e10 (press the carriage key now)

another:

put vector(3.00000e3, 0, -3.00000e3)
          -- vector( 3.00000e3, 0.0000, -3.00000e3 )

think that is another way to write the number (internally is the same number)

if there is a limit, it is not 3000. Sure. Find other sources for your script error.

• 2. Re: What is the maxium number a vector can handle
            Roofy Level 1
            Oh I see. So I guess what you are saying is that is Director's way of compressing vector numbers. Also, as to what you were saying about the number 3000 is sure not the limit for vector units, I think I was just jumping the gun considering that I only glanced at the script error, and then clicked on the debug button to see where the error happened. Then once I looked at the varibles in the varible window, I saw these weird numbers with the e3 at the end of them, and I just thought that it could not add the vectors together with the e3 at the end of each vector unit. However, to make a long story short, I detached the script and reattached it which did no create the error again, and I learned that Director can add vector units together that have an e3 at the end of each vector unit. So thanks for clarifying what the e3 means.
            • 3. Re: What is the maxium number a vector can handle
              ensamblador Level 1
              Actually, e3 means "exponent 3" or "multiplied by 10^3 (the third power of ten), it is a standard notation used by a lot of programming languages.