7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2006 10:35 PM by avanthika

Access domains.

shishir332
      Hi,
      Can someone tell me if there's a way to retrieve data from URLs/domains, which do no have crossdomain.xml files and even if they have, they do not allow or grant permissions to all domains.

TIA
      ~shishir
        • 1. Re: Access domains.
          leotemp Level 1
          You dont need permission from a crossdomain file on their server, you need to have a crossdomain file on your server allowing the domain you are hosted on to access data from the domain you are targeting. Try looking up HTTPservice, DataBinding and crossdomain.xml for starters :)
          • 2. Re: Access domains.
            shishir332 Level 1
            AFAIK, the crossdomain.xml file serves the purpose of allowing .swf files from other domains, to retrieve/access data from the domains other than from which it comes from. That is to say, if my application .swf file is from xyz.com and is trying to access the abc.com domain then the server hosting abc.com should have a crossdomain.xml file hosted and this file should contain an entry granting permission to .swf files from xyz.com to access the abc.com domain.

>>You dont need permission from a crossdomain file on their server, you need to have a crossdomain file on your server >>allowing the domain you are hosted on to access data from the domain you are targeting. Try looking up HTTPservice, >>DataBinding and crossdomain.xml for starters :)

• 3. Re: Access domains.
              ntsiii Level 3
              I believe shishir is correct, that the crossdomain.xml file has to go on the server you are attempting to access. If you could grant yourself access to someone else's server, well that would be a security hole!

Remember that this limitiation only applies to the Flash Player. You can communicate with your own server(domain) at will, and the server can forward your requests to any destination. Essentially you are creating your own proxy.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Access domains.
                leotemp Level 1
                well obvously if they dont want you to have access to a url then no, but i was speaking of anonymous access otherwise his question was well a little odd.. "how do i access someone elses machine without permission?" not exaclty a feature found in most commercial software ; )
                • 5. Re: Access domains.
                  shishir332 Level 1
                  @ntsii
                  Thanks for the reply, but thats where am facing a problem in trying to communicate with my own server(domain) at will, and the server can forward your requests to any destination. Essentially how to create my own proxy. The guides aren't much of a help in this regard.

@leotemp
                  Agreed , the question should have been phrased as "how do i access someone elses machine from within the flashplayer without permission granted.?" . Although my question was a bit off track in the sense that what I wanted to know was how come the same application running from the flex builder can access other URLs which dont have crossdomain.xml whereas when it comes to running the same application from the application server, we require the remote host to have a crossdomain.xml file deployed with neccessary permissions.

Thanks,
                  Shishir
                  • 6. Re: Access domains.
                    avanthika Level 1
                    Hi all ,

I too have the same problem, accessing data from another domain.

if my server is www.myserver.com. and i want access data from another domain ie. www.xyz.com,

so i have to load crossdomain.xml file in www.xyz.com?

other than this, is their any other way to do this?

actually i included the crossdomain.xml in myserver only, that is why i am getting error.

any replies regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                    avanthika
                    • 7. Re: Access domains.
                      avanthika Level 1
                      Hi all ,

I too have the same problem, accessing data from another domain.

if my server is www.myserver.com. and i want access data from another domain ie. www.xyz.com,

so i have to load crossdomain.xml file in www.xyz.com?

other than this, is their any other way to do this?

actually i included the crossdomain.xml in myserver only, that is why i am getting error.

any replies regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                      avanthika