3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2006 6:19 AM by RoboColum(n)

Disable/Hide Index Tab in WinHelp2000?

maniac9999 Level 1
      Hi folks,

Is there any way to disable/hide the Index tab in WinHelp 2000?

We built a project using RoboHelp for Word (RoboHelp Office X5) and the team decided they didn't have time to bother with an index AND they felt the index would be of little value, since there were tons of duplicate topics (formerly field names) with the same name (ex: Description, Address, etc). They also didn't feel they had the time to carefully "scrub" an index built using SmartIndex. I tried building one using SmartIndex, and it stopped after it got part way through several hundred Word docs (total of 517) and several thousand topics (total of 2,680).

With all of the Index keywords stripped out of the project, a blank index pane looks pretty ugly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Disable/Hide Index Tab in WinHelp2000?
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Jim. The only way I can envisage this to be done would be by writing your own macro to attach to the window. Mind you I've no idea where you'd start. Perhaps someone else can help you. However I'd question the reason why an index is deemed unnecessary. Obviously I don't know the background as to why there are duplicate topics but I'd suggest it would be worth the effort sorting this out so that an index is used. Many of my users use this before anything else. IMHO it is well worth the extra time is getting your index "right".
          • 2. Re: Disable/Hide Index Tab in WinHelp2000?
            maniac9999 Level 1
            Colum,

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree - a well done index is worth it, probably worth more than the full-text search in this case. Unfortunately, when the help was originally created for the DOS version of the application, the programmers decided to create field level help for EVERY field (2,680 total). Since none of these topics provided any context for which field belonged to which screen, it's now kind of confusing to go through an index and view 17 different "County" fields from 17 different fields, all with different descriptions. If I had the chance, I would have completely changed the goal of the help into something more useful.

Jim

• 3. Re: Disable/Hide Index Tab in WinHelp2000?
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              Crikey! And I thought I had problems . If you absolutely can't spend the time getting the time right I think a macro is the way to go. Best of luck.