2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2006 1:15 PM by brettcristofer

I'm Confused

brettcristofer Level 1
      I'm trying to perform a tutorial that requires Flash UI Components #2 be installed which I can find nowhere. The links are dead. The tute requires Flash MX but I'm using 8 Pro. I have "User Interface" listed in my components panel. Is this the same thing and it just comes pre-installed with the different name or what? Main reason I'm asking is that when I do what the tute tells me to do there are certain properties that I cannot access (meaning they are just not there to choose at all.) For instance:

Add a component
      1 Place the cursor in the timeline on frame 10 in the "Forms" layer.
      2 Select the Flash UI Components from the drop down menu in the Components panel.
      3 From the "Flash UI Components Panel" (See figure 4 in the bottom right corner), drag a ListBox control onto the Flash stage.
      4 Give it the instance name employeeList_lb, in the Properties panel.
      5 Set the ChangeHandler parameter to getEmployee.

WHEN I do this there is no option to set the ChangeHandler parameter.
      Can anyone inform this novice as to what the deal is.

The tute by the way is http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/extreme/flashdatamgr_02.html.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: I'm Confused
          Level 7
          brettcristofer,

> The tute requires Flash MX but I'm using 8 Pro. I have
          > "User Interface" listed in my components panel. Is this the
          > same thing and it just comes pre-installed with the different
          > name or what?

There's a significant difference between Flash MX (aka 6) and Flash 8,
          not the least of which involves the introduction of ActionScript 2.0 in
          Flash MX 2004 (aka 7). The UI Components you're using in Flash 8 are the v2
          component set, which is version 2, based on ActionScript 2.0. The component
          set in Flash MX is an earlier version, based on ActionScript 1.0.

> Main reason I'm asking is that when I do what the tute tells
          > me to do there are certain properties that I cannot access
          > (meaning they are just not there to choose at all.)

Yeah. :-/ Unfortunately, you're going to run into a lot of that.

> 5 Set the ChangeHandler parameter to getEmployee.
          >
          > WHEN I do this there is no option to set the ChangeHandler
          > parameter.

In the version of Flash you're using, you'll want to check out the List
          class of the Components Language Reference, keeping in mind that classes
          define obects -- and everything you deal with in ActionScript is an object.
          Properties are characteristics an object has; methods are the things it can
          do; events are the things it can react to.

Given the differences -- and there are many! -- between the version of
          Flash described in the tutorial and the version of Flash you have, this
          tutorial will, at best, be a general guide for you, rather than a to-do
          list.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: I'm Confused
            brettcristofer Level 1
            Well, thanks for the answer. I guess I'l have to find an more applicable tutorial to Flash 8.