7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2006 3:34 AM by Necromanthus

modifier based animation

tyree_2 Level 2
      someone may find this useful. it is modifier based animation using bones, the bones are being animated by a modifier not by hand but they can still be keyframed. the object wasnt made using polygons and doesnt use meshsmooth. done in max unaware how it works in other 3d programs

www.bleed3d.com/curtain.htm
        • 1. Re: modifier based animation
          duckets Level 1
          Another, erm, interesting demo, tyree! :-)

I'm not sure if something's wrong here, but when I view it, the curtain is barely moving, it just wiggles slightly and moves a little to the right at the bottom. Can you make it flap and billow a bit more?

Also I'm not sure what exactly this is demonstrating... is there any lingo in your movie? What do you mean by 'the object wasnt made using polygons'? All models are mad using polygons!

- Ben
          • 2. modifier based animation
            tyree_2 Level 2
            it uses the wave modifier and its set low which is why it barely moves. there isnt any lingo. the object was made out of 2 lines its a nurbs object. it gets converted to polygons for shockwave but the surface is still smoother than polygonal modeling. its demonstrating that modifiers can be used. give it a second look added a keyframe, just one an up-turn
            www.bleed3d.com/curtain.htm. what Im hoping is someone will see this and realize that. if its possible to have a small portion of the object move in a wave motion its also possible to have the rest of the object move in the same fashion and again all the motion except for a keyframe at the end is done by the wave modifier
            • 3. Re: modifier based animation
              Necromanthus Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: tyree_2
              ... it gets converted to polygons for shockwave ...

So you figured the answer by yourself ...
              Anyway, you don't need nurbs and the wave modifier to do that.
              Use bones or dummies and physique modifier.
              See the FLAG from Quake 3 Forever
              • 4. Re: modifier based animation
                tyree_2 Level 2
                first of all, necromathus, you very simple minded person, I did not need to figure it out I was pointing out the fact that you can make a smoother object using something other than polygons. I know how to model using all three formats patches, nurbs, and polygons and its no secret that patches and nurbs are faster and produce better results for any type of smooth curved shaped object. Now, while you would prefer to waste time doing something tedious like trying to animate a wave by hand when there is already something there that does it for you. others would not.
                • 5. Re: modifier based animation
                  Necromanthus Level 2
                  TYREE_2, watch your language !
                  You're a newbie (in 3DSMax & Director Shockwave both).
                  We don't need your "astonishing" tips & advices, such as " the object wasnt made using polygons ".
                  First of all, you should start to learn the BASICS.

bye
                  • 6. modifier based animation
                    tyree_2 Level 2
                    pointing out that the object wasnt made using polygons is because a polygon is a stiff object a patch and a nurbs object is not even once it becomes converted to polygons and since im so supposedly so new to everything. let me point something new out. motion can be taken from the modifiers, reactor, and just about anything else, all shockwave 3d knows is if it has bones play it back. it doesnt know or care where the motion comes from
                    • 7. Re: modifier based animation
                      Necromanthus Level 2
                      3DSMax and Shockwave 3D are two very different things.
                      The 3DSMax W3D Exporter has many restrictions.
                      For this reason, in case of "modifier based animation" here is the BEST method:
                      http://www.geocities.com/necromanthus/flag.html
                      What's there:
                      an 8 (eight !!!) polygons editable mesh, 5 bones (in this case you can use 5 dummies as well) and physique modifier.
                      No LINGO at all !