6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2006 11:33 AM by Mister Peanut

Macromedia Flash

trx_450 Level 1
      Yeah if there is anybody out there who understands how to work the layers on Flash can you please thouroughly explain it.
        • 1. Re: Macromedia Flash
          Level 7
          what do you mean "work the layers"? Layers work in flash like every other graphics program (that
          supports layers). You can add and deletes them - move them up or down. Place content on them
          etc...can you be specific?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

trx 450 wrote:
          > Yeah if there is anybody out there who understands how to work the layers on Flash can you please thouroughly explain it.
          • 2. Re: Macromedia Flash
            trx_450 Level 1
            i mean i am new at this and i just want to know what the purpose of the layers are.
            • 3. Re: Macromedia Flash
              Level 7
              :) i don't think this question has ever been asked - ok, purpose of layers - ummmm, hard not to be
              obvious - but layers are for "layering" graphics - so you can have one over and/or under the other(s).

Is this what you mean?

--> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

trx 450 wrote:
              > i mean i am new at this and i just want to know what the purpose of the layers are.
              • 4. Re: Macromedia Flash
                Level 7
                > i mean i am new at this and i just want to know what the purpose of the
                layers are.

Read the manual, do the tutorials, come back with questions more specific
                than 'how does it all work'.

--
                -------------------------------
                Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail
                -------------------------------

• 5. Re: Macromedia Flash
                  Level 7
                  Also - just fyi: Macromedia was bought by Adobe almost a year ago - it is Adobe Flash now.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                  --> www.keyframer.com

trx 450 wrote:
                  > i mean i am new at this and i just want to know what the purpose of the layers are.
                  • 6. Re: Macromedia Flash
                    Mister Peanut Level 1
                    Imagine you have 3 different graphics on your screen. To be able to organize and handle each graphic, it helps to have them each on a different layer. Just like if you had three pieces of paper on your desk in a single pile. There would be a top sheet, a middle sheet and a bottom sheet. So literally, one graphic will be on top, one graphic will be in the middle, and the last will be on the bottom. The graphic on top will always appear over top of your other two layers. The graphic on the middle layer will always appear over top of the bottom graphic, but underneath yout top graphic. The graphic on the bottom layer will always appear beneath your other two graphics.

So with flash, in the most basic sense, you create different layers to help organize what is in the foreground, middleground and background. Because they are on their own separate layers, you can control them separately.

Some programs, like photoshop, only allow you to edit or move one layer at a time. This makes it impossible to accidentally edit a layer that you don't want to without manually switching to a different layer.

Flash, on the other hand, allows you to click on any graphic on the stage that you can see, and it will automatically bring you to that graphic's layer. This is probably easier for first time users of layers to understand because you just need to click on the graphic you want to edit, and you don't need to manually switch to another layer (usually done with a button in a special layers menu that is on screen, like in Photoshop).

In the most basic of terms, layers just help you organize your document better, and give you better control over everything because it keeps your graphics separated on the screen. Play around in Photoshop, Illustrator, and flash to see what happens when you put different graphics into a single file. THen you might understand a little better why it is necessary to have separate layers.

P