Duration of .swf?

Level 7
      Hi All -

I'm not a flash programmer, I'm just trying to play flash content using =
      the swflash8 OCX in VB6. I'm not sure if there's a better place to post =
      -- please direct me if so.

If anyone has a complete layout of the swflash8 object model with =
      explanations of the methods and properties, I'd love to see it. There =
      seems to be a shortage of good information about the OCX.

For the most part it's pretty intuitive and I've been using it =
      successfully. But now I'm up against something I can't crack.

The material I'm playing is linear and continuous -- either plain =
      animations or embedded FLVs or a mix of both.

I can use the .TotalFrames property to determine the number of frames in =
      the SWF file, but I can't seem to translate that into a number of =
      seconds. There doesn't seem to be a "frames per second" property that =
      would allow me to compute the true running time. I've tried just using =
      30 as the frame rate, but the results don't jibe.

Am I just missing something obvious? I appreciate any pointers or tips.

--=20
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Duration of .swf?
          Level 7
          > If anyone has a complete layout of the swflash8 object model with
          > explanations of the methods and properties, I'd love to see it. There
          > seems to be a shortage of good information about the OCX.

Info on that is on Adboe web site. Look for tech notes on calling flash
          methods from javascript etc.

> I can use the .TotalFrames property to determine the number of frames in
          > the SWF file, but I can't seem to translate that into a number of seconds.
          > There doesn't seem to be a "frames per second" property that would allow
          > me to compute the true running time. I've tried just using 30 as the
          > frame rate, but the results don't jibe.

You need to look at the file itself (its a binary file) .. the frame rate is
          in the file header.
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: Duration of .swf?
            Level 7
            Jeckyl wrote:
            >> If anyone has a complete layout of the swflash8 object model with
            >> explanations of the methods and properties, I'd love to see it. There
            >> seems to be a shortage of good information about the OCX.
            >=20
            > Info on that is on Adboe web site. Look for tech notes on calling
            > flash methods from javascript etc.

Thanks for the response. I've seen 'em all, I think, and none of these =
            notes gives a complete picture. But if that's all there is, then I guess =
            there's nothing else to do.

I was mainly looking for a way to determine the playing time of a =
            timeline. I gather that for many SWFs that's not a meaningful thing, =
            though in my case it would be since they play linearly from start to =
            end.

Can the author specify a frame rate in that situation?=20

>> I can use the .TotalFrames property to determine the number of
            >> frames in the SWF file, but I can't seem to translate that into a
            >> number of seconds. There doesn't seem to be a "frames per second"
            >> property that would allow me to compute the true running time. I've
            >> tried just using 30 as the frame rate, but the results don't jibe.
            >=20
            > You need to look at the file itself (its a binary file) .. the frame
            > rate is in the file header.

Any idea where, and in what form? Any docs on the header info?

--=20
            Jim
            • 3. Re: Duration of .swf?
              Level 7
              > Any idea where, and in what form? Any docs on the header info?

The SWF file format
              --
              Jeckyl

• 4. Re: Duration of .swf?
                Level 7
                Jeckyl wrote:
                >> Any idea where, and in what form? Any docs on the header info?
                >=20
                > The SWF file format

For anyone else following this, most of the links to this out there are =
                dead -- Macromedia has apparently taken this private. =
                http://www.adobe.com/licensing/developer/ to get a free license to DL =
                the spec. Unfortunately I got a corrupted file, but I did manage to find =
                a spec elsewhere.

So following the spec as I read it, the header looks like this:

offset field length
                0 sig/vers 4
                4 file size 4
                8 rect 9 (5 + 64 bits, rounded up to next byte)
                17 framerate 2 (int16)
                19 framecount 2 (int16)

Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm assuming little-endian format =
                for numerics.

If I apply it to a couple of files I have on hand (with a 'vers' of 4), =
                I get the correct file size, but the frame rate and frame count are way, =
                way off. This tells me that I'm probably misinterpreting the RECT =
                structure, but the spec is fairly clear about how it should be read -- 5 =
                bits followed by 4 fields of 16 bits each, padded to the next byte =
                boundary.

Any clues? Thanks.

--=20
                Jim
                • 5. Re: Duration of .swf?
                  Level 7
                  > Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm assuming little-endian format
                  > for numerics.

Yes .. you cannot count on the number of bit per field for the rect .. it is
                  NOT fixed.

Please get the SWF file spec where it is all explained. Last time I got the
                  latest version, one had do fill in a request and then get emailed a link.

Also be aware of the compressed SWF format differences.
                  --
                  Jeckyl

• 6. Re: Duration of .swf?
                    Level 7
                    Jeckyl wrote:
                    >> Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm assuming little-endian
                    >> format for numerics.
                    >=20
                    > Yes .. you cannot count on the number of bit per field for the rect
                    > .. it is NOT fixed.

The spec I have says that this particular RECT always has a nbits of 15, =
                    which I verified in every SWF I have. If the nbits is 15, that makes =
                    each of the 4 folowing members 16 bits (since they're signed). 16 x 4 =
                    =3D 64, plus the 5 for nbits gives 69 bits. or 8.xx bytes, which =
                    requires 9 bytes to store. Is there a flaw in this logic?

> Please get the SWF file spec where it is all explained. Last time I
                    > got the latest version, one had do fill in a request and then get
                    > emailed a link.=20

As I explained, I did that and got a corrupted file.

> Also be aware of the compressed SWF format differences.

Nothing I've read indicates that the header itself is different, or that =
                    the framerate field is at a different offset. Is that wrong?

--=20
                    Jim
                    • 7. Re: Duration of .swf?
                      Level 7
                      Jim Mack wrote:
                      > Jeckyl wrote:
                      >>> Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm assuming little-endian
                      >>> format for numerics.
                      >>=20
                      >> Yes .. you cannot count on the number of bit per field for the rect
                      >> .. it is NOT fixed.
                      >=20
                      > The spec I have says that this particular RECT always has a nbits of
                      > 15, which I verified in every SWF I have. If the nbits is 15, that
                      > makes each of the 4 folowing members 16 bits (since they're signed).
                      > 16 x 4 =3D 64, plus the 5 for nbits gives 69 bits. or 8.xx bytes, =
                      which
                      > requires 9 bytes to store. Is there a flaw in this logic? =20

I apologize -- the spec I'm using is clearly wrong in this regard, since =
                      I just pulled down a few more SWFs and indeed this field is not fixed. =
                      But where the value of nbits _is_ 15, the number of bytes should be 9, =
                      and that value isn't working.

I won't bother you again until I can get a good copy of the official =
                      spec.

--=20
                      Jim

• 8. Re: Duration of .swf?
                        Level 7
                        > The spec I have says that this particular RECT always has a nbits of 15

It is not always the case. The spec is incorrect in that regard. its a
                        regular rect, which has variable number of bits.

> As I explained, I did that and got a corrupted file.

Please complain to Adboe .. it should not be a corrupt file

> Nothing I've read indicates that the header itself is different, or that
                        > the framerate field is at a different offset. Is that wrong?

You've not read enough then

here is an extract .. firstly the header

>>
                        Signature UI8 Signature byte: "F" indicates uncompressed "C" indicates
                        compressed (SWF 6 and later only)
                        Signature UI8 Signature byte always "W"
                        Signature UI8 Signature byte always "S"
                        Version UI8 Single byte file version (for example, 0x06 for SWF 6)
                        FileLength UI32 Length of entire file in bytes
                        FrameSize RECT Frame size in twips
                        FrameRate UI16 Frame delay in 8.8 fixed number of frames per second
                        FrameCount UI16 Total number of frames in file
                        >>

and what it means

>>
                        The header begins with a three-byte signature of either 0x46, 0x57, 0x53
                        ("FWS"); or 0x43, 0x57, 0x53 ("CWS"). An FWS signature indicates an
                        uncompressed SWF file; CWS indicates that the entire file after the first 8
                        bytes (that is, after the FileLength field) was compressed by using the ZLIB
                        open standard. The data format that the ZLIB library uses is described by
                        Request for Comments (RFCs) documents 1950 to 1952. CWS file compression is
                        permitted in SWF 6 or later only.

A one-byte version number follows the signature. The version number is not
                        an ASCII character, but an 8-bit number. For example, for SWF 4, the version
                        byte is 0x04, not the ASCII character "4" (0x35).

The FileLength field is the total length of the SWF file, including the
                        header. If this is an uncompressed SWF file (FWS signature), the FileLength
                        field should exactly match the file size. If this is a compressed SWF file
                        (CWS signature), the FileLength field indicates the total length of the file
                        after decompression, and thus generally does not match the file size. Having
                        the uncompressed size available can make the decompression process more
                        efficient.

The FrameSize field defines the width and height of the on-screen display.
                        This field is stored as a RECT structure, meaning that its size may vary
                        according to the number of bits needed to encode the coordinates. The
                        FrameSize RECT always has Xmin and Ymin of 0; the Xmax and Ymax members
                        define the width and height (see Using bit values).

The FrameRate is the desired playback rate in frames per second. This rate
                        is not guaranteed if, for example, Flash Player is running on a slow or busy
                        CPU.

The FrameCount is the total number of frames in this SWF file.
                        >>

Note what is says about compressed swf (CWS), and about the FrameSize field.
                        --
                        Jeckyl

• 9. Re: Duration of .swf?
                          Level 7
                          Jeckyl wrote:
                          >> The spec I have says that this particular RECT always has a nbits of
                          >> 15=20
                          >=20
                          > It is not always the case. The spec is incorrect in that regard.=20
                          > its a regular rect, which has variable number of bits.
                          >=20
                          >> As I explained, I did that and got a corrupted file.
                          >=20
                          > Please complain to Adboe .. it should not be a corrupt file
                          >=20
                          >> Nothing I've read indicates that the header itself is different, or
                          >> that the framerate field is at a different offset. Is that wrong?
                          >=20
                          > You've not read enough then
                          >=20
                          > here is an extract .. firstly the header

Finally got a good file, and while it didn't add much, I did have an =
                          epiphany.

Because the FrameRate field is defined as UI16, I was treating it as an =
                          integer. In fact the documents all say that it's "Frame delay in 8.8 =
                          fixed number of frames per second".

I was reading that as a note about a difference in a version numbered =
                          8.8, but I see now that what it's saying is that the field is an 8.8 =
                          fixed point number, not the 16-bit integer that UI16 would suggest.

I'm still a bit confused about why the terms "frame delay" and "frame =
                          rate" are used in the same sentence, but it does give a reasonable value =
                          in every case so far.

Thanks for sticking with this. If the OCX team is reading, I'd strongly =
                          suggest that you expose this value as a property in the next version. =
                          It's too useful to require all this fiddling to get.

--=20
                          Jim