10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2006 7:39 AM by Newsgroup_User

punch command error message

justlarry
      Using fireworks mx v 6.0

When trying to use the punch command

Select the path object that defines the area to be removed.
      Choose Modify > Arrange > Bring to Front.
      Hold down Shift and add to the selection the path object from which the portions are to be removed.
      Choose Modify > Combine Paths > Punch.

I get the following error message "Punch, Union, Intersect and Crop require two or more paths"

I get this message if selecting 2, 3, 4 of 5 objects.

Also have the same problem when trying to do a union command.

This is driving me crazy,

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

justlarry

• 1. Re: punch command error message
          llamaparsnip Level 1
          It depends on what shapes you are trying to combine. If you are trying to combine a something like a rectangle, you first need to ungroup it to form a basic vector path. I think... :-)
          • 2. Re: punch command error message
            justlarry Level 1
            This was just one rounded rectangle over an image jpg. The image had not been grouped.

I think i see an issue though, i need first to work with two shapes, punch them, then do a union and then blend this shape with the jpg image?

Seems like more steps than one would need, but I will try that.

If this is not correct for punching a hole in a jpg, then what is?
            • 3. Re: punch command error message
              Level 7
              If you select your bitmap and a single vector object and then try to
              punch, you will get that error message.

The punch command Modify > Combine Paths > Punch is for vectors only.
              You can't punch through a jpeg with it. You need to either convert your
              path to a mask, or (more destructively) used the bitmap selection tools
              to cut a hole in your jpeg file.

Keep in mind too that only the topmost vector will act as the punch
              shape. All vetors beneath it (assuming they overlap with the top vector)
              will be punched through based on the uppermost shape. Rectangles and
              rounded rectangles do not need to be ungrouped for them to act as a punch.

Jim Babbage

justlarry wrote:
              > This was just one rounded rectangle over an image jpg. The image had not been
              > grouped.
              >
              > I think i see an issue though, i need first to work with two shapes, punch
              > them, then do a union and then blend this shape with the jpg image?
              >
              > Seems like more steps than one would need, but I will try that.
              >
              > If this is not correct for punching a hole in a jpg, then what is?
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: punch command error message
                Level 7
                justlarry wrote:

> If this is not correct for punching a hole in a jpg, then what is?

It is for punching holes in vectors. There's a workaround, however. In
                order to punch a shape through a bitmap, you first have to add the
                bitmap to a rectangle as a Pattern. Here's how:

1. Draw a rectangle the size of the bitmap.
                2. Change the fill type of the rectangle to Pattern, and scroll to the
                bottom of the Pattern menu until you find Other.
                3. Click on Other to open the Locate File dialog box.
                4. Browse to your image file and select it.
                5. Click on Open to accept the changes and close the dialog box.
                6. Use the pattern adjustment bar to align your image inside the rectangle.
                7. Draw the shape you want to punch through the image and move it on top
                of the rectangle you filled with the image pattern.
                8. Shift & select both the shape and the rectangle and choose Modify >
                Combine Paths > Punch.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                -------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: punch command error message
                  justlarry Level 1
                  Thanks all and thanks Linda that worked, I appreciated the help, a newbie as you can tell.

Larry
                  • 6. Re: punch command error message
                    Level 7
                    Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert** wrote:
                    > justlarry wrote:
                    >
                    >> If this is not correct for punching a hole in a jpg, then what is?
                    >
                    > It is for punching holes in vectors. There's a workaround, however. In
                    > order to punch a shape through a bitmap, you first have to add the
                    > bitmap to a rectangle as a Pattern. Here's how:
                    >
                    > 1. Draw a rectangle the size of the bitmap.
                    > 2. Change the fill type of the rectangle to Pattern, and scroll to the
                    > bottom of the Pattern menu until you find Other.
                    > 3. Click on Other to open the Locate File dialog box.
                    > 4. Browse to your image file and select it.
                    > 5. Click on Open to accept the changes and close the dialog box.
                    > 6. Use the pattern adjustment bar to align your image inside the rectangle.
                    > 7. Draw the shape you want to punch through the image and move it on top
                    > of the rectangle you filled with the image pattern.
                    > 8. Shift & select both the shape and the rectangle and choose Modify >
                    > Combine Paths > Punch.
                    >

Cool technique Linda!

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                    • 7. Re: punch command error message
                      Level 7
                      Jim Babbage wrote:

> Cool technique Linda!

Thank you kindly, Jim. As I recall it, Joe Lowery was the one that came
                      up with that. His Fireworks Bibles were full of gems like that.

--
                      • 8. Re: punch command error message
                        Level 7
                        I think I missed a little something. I would have thought that the most
                        straightforward way to do this would be to punch the vector and use it as a
                        mask or to do a paste inside. Why is the pattern superior? It seems more
                        complicated to me . . . or am I missing what is going on here?

Thanks,
                        Tony

"Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in
                        message news:eh08sl$9it$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > justlarry wrote:
                        >
                        >> If this is not correct for punching a hole in a jpg, then what is?
                        >
                        > It is for punching holes in vectors. There's a workaround, however. In
                        > order to punch a shape through a bitmap, you first have to add the bitmap
                        > to a rectangle as a Pattern. Here's how:
                        >
                        > 1. Draw a rectangle the size of the bitmap.
                        > 2. Change the fill type of the rectangle to Pattern, and scroll to the
                        > bottom of the Pattern menu until you find Other.
                        > 3. Click on Other to open the Locate File dialog box.
                        > 4. Browse to your image file and select it.
                        > 5. Click on Open to accept the changes and close the dialog box.
                        > 6. Use the pattern adjustment bar to align your image inside the
                        > rectangle.
                        > 7. Draw the shape you want to punch through the image and move it on top
                        > of the rectangle you filled with the image pattern.
                        > 8. Shift & select both the shape and the rectangle and choose Modify >
                        > Combine Paths > Punch.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                        > --------------------------------------------------------------
                        > http://www.projectseven.com
                        > Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                        > CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                        > Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                        > -------------------------------------------------------------

• 9. Re: punch command error message
                          Level 7
                          Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                          > I think I missed a little something. I would have thought that the most
                          > straightforward way to do this would be to punch the vector and use it as a
                          > mask or to do a paste inside. Why is the pattern superior? It seems more
                          > complicated to me . . . or am I missing what is going on here?

It's just another way of doing it, Anthony. No one said it was a better
                          way.

--
                          • 10. Re: punch command error message
                            Level 7
                            "Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in
                            message news:eh63o3$le3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >
                            > It's just another way of doing it, Anthony. No one said it was a better
                            > way.

OK. I hope you didn't misunderstand my question. 8^) I just thought I
                            had missed something.

Thanks for the reply,
                            Tony