7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2006 7:36 PM by abeall

Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in

Level 7
      Here is the web site in question:
      http://www.accurateimage.com/essrocvm/interface.html

It runs ok at first but when you click on the buttons at the top it will crash after a few
      clicks. These buttons are sending out a call to the server and then loading XML.

This was developed and published in flash 6 and has run without crashes for the past 2
      years, only Flash 9 causes these errors.

Any ideas?

• 1. Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
          abeall Level 3
          Wow, you weren't kidding. Completely bombed Mozilla, had to restart. I just lost all my tabs!

I can't possibly imagine what could cause this... to be honest, I don't think I've *ever* seen Flash actually crash a browser. Try uninstalling FP9 and re-installing FP8 or under. If it starts to work again, you know it's almost definately a FP9 bug. Either way, a crash is a crash, report this to Adobe untill you get a response, and if I were you I'd offer your files for examination.
          • 2. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
            Level 7
            "abeall" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ecq7nj$7ah$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Wow, you weren't kidding. Completely bombed Mozilla, had to restart. I just
            > lost all my tabs!
            >
            > I can't possibly imagine what could cause this... to be honest, I don't think
            > I've *ever* seen Flash actually crash a browser. Try unistalling FP9 and
            > re-installing FP8 or under. If it starts to work again, you know it's almost
            > definately a FP9. Either way, a crash is a crash, report this to Adobe untill
            > you get a response, and if I were you I'd offer you files for examination.
            >

It's definately Flash 9. It's worked for years with flash 6,7, and 8 without crashing the
            browser.

Yeah, I'm kind of irritated with this, Flash 9 should run anything the older Flash players
            will run. Now I have to fix this thing I built 2 years ago and I can't even debug it
            properly since I obviously don't have the Flash 9 dev program....

• 3. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              heck, i'm an expert at crashing browsers while debugging code. i've done it many times but using javascript and flash.
              • 4. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
                abeall Level 3
                > It's definately Flash 9. It's worked for years with flash 6,7, and 8 without crashing the
                > browser.

True, but there's always the chance that something else that happened at the same time as the FP9 player being installed is the actual cause. Since it crashed for me as well, it's clearly not a corrupt player install(unless we both -- and whatever other machines you've tested on -- have corrupt player installs), but there's a chance that the fla is corrupt in some way, producing a corrupt swf. Slim chance, but if you go that far, it's pretty damning evidence, and historically Macromedia(now Adobe) has been good at dealing with these sorts of issues if you contact them and offer source files to examine.

See if you can find an exact line or block of code that causes the crash, and post it here.
                • 5. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
                  Grumpy7 Level 1
                  I have IE7 RC1 and FP9 installed and the web site crashed my browser as well. Are you using ExternalInterface.call anywhere in your flash?
                  • 6. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
                    mayblossom2
                    I have just discovered a similar, if not the same problem:

I have a flash movie that is published for player 8 - it loads external flvs, makes use of a shared object, has some flashvars passing in from the containing page, loads a skin, and calls a javascript method using geturl...

It works great in IE (player 8 & 9) Firefox (player 8 & 9) and Netscape (player 8)

As soon as I try it on Netscape w/ player 9, it starts crashing the browser. sometimes it'll make it a little ways into the movie and will crash only when I click the button that triggers the getUrl method...other times it just crashes shortly after the movie is loaded...

Is anyone aware of what in particular player 9 dislikes about movies published for older players? Is there a fix in the works for this?

I did check the crash report and it does appear to be the flash player 9 plugin that is crashing..as soon as I revert to the flash 8 plugin, all is fine again.

And again, this is ONLY in netscape...

Thanks for any insight on this

-K
                    • 7. Re: Flash 6 SWF crashes browser running Flash 9 plug-in
                      abeall Level 3
                      Flash PLayer 9 is full of bugs. Since the OP started this thread, I have encountered 3 serious crashes in my work that are completely reproducable in only Player 9. I isolate some of the problem areas, and they were inconsequential. Yes, I'm complaining... but this is probably because FP9 has a completely new Actionscirpt Virtual Machine, which shouldn't affect the previous AVM but things are never that simple. Report these bugs, provide source, and hopefully we'll see a stable Flash Player again sometime in the future.