6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2006 3:51 PM by jdcarvin

Why won't this delete?

jdcarvin
      OK. I just started my 30 day trial and I'm new at this. This program is frustrating as all get out. I have four or five layers going. All I want to do is get the movie to end on a certain frame. I see a "clear frame" command but that leaves an empty circle mark and once I've deleted something I've put into a frame I can't seem to get rid of it even after clearing the frame, deleting on the frame, clearing key frames, frames, etc.

And besides, how can I tell what's actually inside a frame?

But mainly, I've got a bunch of junk going on despite numerous attempts to delete and get rid of any possible content past frame 30, and I want it all to be gone. I want it to freeze and hold exactly what it has at frame 30.

Actually, I might like to add more stuff past 30, but for now the unwanted stuff needs to be gotten rid of.

How hard is that?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Why won't this delete?
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          at frame 30, if there is no keyframe (little black circle), then hit f6 to create keyframe. then open the 'actions' tab and type stop();
          • 2. Re: Why won't this delete?
            Level 7
            it's extrememly simple - clear frame only clears the frame's contents - you want the other option
            next to it "Remove Frame".

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
            --> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

jdcarvin wrote:
            > OK. I just started my 30 day trial and I'm new at this. This program is
            > frustrating as all get out. I have four or five layers going. All I want to do
            > is get the move to end on a certain frame. I see a "clear frame" command but
            > that leaves an empty circle mark and once I've deleted something I've put into
            > a frame I can't seem to get rid of it even after clearing the frame, deleting
            > on the frame, clearing key frames, frames, etc.
            >
            > And besides, how can I tell what's actually inside a frame?
            >
            > But mainly, I've got a bunch of junk going on despite numerous attempts to
            > delete and get rid of any possible content past frame 30, and I want it all to
            > be gone. I want it to freeze and hold exactly what it has at frame 30.
            >
            > How hard is that?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: Why won't this delete?
              Nickels55 Level 2
              jdcarvin, you gotta settle down!

There is a learning curve to using Flash. It can be frustrating at first (hell, it's still frustrating at times to me). You have to realize that a program this powerfull takes quite some practice to learn it. Once you give it some time...

"And besides, how can I tell what's actually inside a frame?"
              If you click on the frame the contents will be highlighted on the stage. It may help to hide the other layers by clicking on the dot below the eye so it becomes crossed out.

To delete frames - click on a frame. Then shift click on the last frame you see on that layer so that all the extra frames you want to remove are highlighted. Now right-click on them and select "remove frames"
              • 4. Re: Why won't this delete?
                jdcarvin Level 1
                Thank you for your help. After many attempts the stop () command did do the trick, but only when placed in the precise frame and after I created a new layer so I wouldn't lose vital data from another layer. Weird.

Anyhoo, now what I need to do is make the stage transparent. I don't see that as an option in document properties. I want to layer this on my web site over several colors and make this appear as if it is flying out above the screen. Can't do that with a solid color background. Any suggestions?
                • 5. Re: Why won't this delete?
                  Nickels55 Level 2
                  FYI - all of you documents should have a layer called "actions". This is common amoung flash developers, so that the actions are easy to find and organized.

As for the transparent background, that is not done in Flash. That technique is completed on the html page calling the swf file. Read this for more info:
                  http://www.adriantnt.com/support/transparent_swf_flash_file/
                  • 6. Re: Why won't this delete?
                    jdcarvin Level 1
                    Thanks. That works in IE but not in Mozilla, even though I used th wmode="transparent" in both places as per http://www.adriantnt.com/support/transparent_swf_flash_file/

See http://www.realestatemlm.biz/z.html in both browsers.

Now supposing I overcome this background transparency thing in Mozilla, here is what I'm going to want to do and I'd like your opinion on what approach to take..

I want to have a similar flash bat/ball movie coming up when mousing over any of the four program buttons to the left. I'm going to want to make any current ball layer disappear when that is done and I'll want it to stop the movie for that layer if going to another mouse.

I can see how to make hot spots in DW8 but I'm stuck on the behaviors. Should I create five sepearate layers, one for each movie?

Also, the five movies are all the same except for one layer, which has text. Can I just control the flash by playing only the layers I want depending on which hot spot I'm mousing over?

Thanks for your help!