11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2008 11:12 AM by Polar2

can't edit some pages

tripp2222
      cannot edit a couple of pages on our website. They say that they are "currently being worked on" then says to contact: person/email address. The person is who was administering the site but is not any longer. He was the admin/volunteer. We purchased the software and he sent us the connection key and I installed it. What do I do to have his name totally removed and then myself as the admin? The second problem is I have the text editing option checked to allow me to edit font/etc and it won't let me....
        • 1. Re: can't edit some pages
          Sudharshan.S
          Hi,
          Do you know the hosting server information of the site. If so try to create a connection to the site manually and join the administrator group. Once you have joined the group, you can remove the user from the site.

If you are already the administrator of the site, then you can go to the administration tab and specify the administrator's email id.

hope this helps,
          Sudharshan
          • 2. Re: can't edit some pages
            spoonofmilk
            Hi all!

I'm having a similar problem to tripp2222. I have finally managed to guess the password I had used when I first installed contribute and have tidied up the users. However, I am still getting an error where I am trying to edit the index page of the site and it says "You can't edit this page now because you are already editing it on another computer. Click here to make this page editable."

I click on the click here, but it doesn't make it editable at all and the page isn't being edited on another computer. All very frustrating!

I have tried deleting all Contribute info from the server, reinstalled Contribute, set up new users and reinstalled the entire site on a new account on the server, but all of this to no avail. Does anyone else have any idea what I can do to fix it?

Much thanks
            • 3. Re: can't edit some pages
              Level 7
              Hello spoonofmilk,

See if you have any .LCK files on the remote server ...

-Avinash

> Hi all!
              >
              > I'm having a similar problem to tripp2222. I have finally managed to
              > guess the password I had used when I first installed contribute and
              > have tidied up the users. However, I am still getting an error where I
              > am trying to edit the index page of the site and it says "You can't
              > edit this page now because you are already editing it on another
              > computer. Click here to make this page editable."
              >
              > I click on the click here, but it doesn't make it editable at all and
              > the page isn't being edited on another computer. All very frustrating!
              >
              > I have tried deleting all Contribute info from the server,
              > reinstalled Contribute, set up new users and reinstalled the entire
              > site on a new account on the server, but all of this to no avail. Does
              > anyone else have any idea what I can do to fix it?
              >
              > Much thanks
              >

• 4. Re: can't edit some pages
                Aeolus74
                Hi All,

I too have similar problems with accessing a .html file AFTER I published/cancelled it. ("You can't edit this page now because you are already editing it on another computer. Click here to make this page editable.")
                The .LCK file is gone on the remote server but still I can't access the file for some time.

It seems Contribute sets a time lock on the file or is it some caching? It is really annoying.
                What can I do?

Cheers,
                Menno
                • 5. Re: can't edit some pages
                  spoonofmilk Level 1
                  Hey Aeolus74

In the end I sent an email to Adobe support (UK) who were able to help me out. They ended up connecting to my server and sorting it out (somehow) and now it all works lovely again! Proper job! I'd suggest contacting support cos that error really isn't something we can fix easily, I don't think.
                  • 6. Re: can't edit some pages
                    Aeolus74 Level 1
                    Hey Spoonofmilk,

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess I'll do just the same you did.
                    I think now it has something to do with the server my site is hosted on. My other websites (on another server) don't have this problem at all.

Cheers,
                    Menno
                    • 7. Re: can't edit some pages
                      ScottsdaleAZ
                      Aeolus74 and Spoonofmilk, if you ever find a solution, please post. I also find that with one specific web server I use, Contribute will take 1 to 2 minutes to recognize that the .LCK file is gone. In other words, after I publish or cancel an edit and the .LCK file disappears, Contribute will still show a "You can't edit this page now..." message for 1 to 2 minutes.

It's frustrating since it slows me down a great deal, but I've learned to live with it. I asked for help in this forum last May and found that a few others had this problem, but we never found a solution.

Out of the three web servers I use, I only encounter this problem on one of them.

I'd also like to clarify to others that this is not the problem where a .LCK file is abandoned and you have to manually delete it. In this case, the .LCK will disappear -- the problem is that it takes Contribute a couple minutes to recognize it.
                      • 8. can't edit some pages
                        Here's what I did:

1. Remove all Webdav locks (think this means delete .lck for ftp).
                        2. Backup and delete the _mm directory.
                        3. Restablished the site (via Contribute/edit/Administer Websites).
                        4. Delete '.csi' file from _mm director and copied back the old one from the backup.
                        5. Backup up the _mm directory for next time !

I could then edit the files again.
                        • 9. Re: can't edit some pages
                          perpaal
                          I have tried all suggestions here, but same problem? I have deleted all lck files locally and on the server. I have tried both LAN connection and FTP. I see that when I click EDIT PAGE a lck file is created. Then I get the message that I am editing the page on another machine? The lck file is not deleted afterwards - it sits there, and locally in my profile the web-page itself and a lck file is created also. This happens randomly on some pages? And it differs from user to user?

Anybody have a solution?

• 10. Re: can't edit some pages
                            spoonofmilk Level 1
                            My solution in the end was to stop using Contribute altogether, to be honest. I'm now recommending to anyone who asks for it to just get an older copy of Dreamweaver and they use that to update their pages instead. I've really had enough of Contribute's foibles.

Sorry that wasn't the result you were hoping for!
                            • 11. Re: can't edit some pages
                              Polar2
                              I think I found the solution. I searched for all _notes folders and deleted all of them. Then I deleted some .lck files on the webserver to be sure tyhere where no left. Then I deleted the Contribute CS3 folder locally on each users computer (in the userprofile). Then it worked again. The problem started when I restored a lot of files and folders from a backup.

I think the trick was to get rid of the _notes folders.