0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2006 7:32 PM by JoanMarieMoss

Navigation Menu Problems in Template

JoanMarieMoss
      I'm totally new to Flash 8 Professional, ActionScript 2.0 and working with Templates; and I'm going crazy.... I'll try to explain. I suspect that the template and project is fairly basic. But I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

The template runs a movieclip to position the navigation menu block on screen. It includes 6 smaller movieclips - one for each of the pages in the site. The action code on the first two buttons are as follows:

on (rollOver) {
      gotoAndPlay("over");
      }
      on (releaseOutside, rollOut) {
      gotoAndPlay("out");
      }
      on (release) {
      if (_root.link <> 1) {
      _root.link = 1;
      _root.play ();
      }
      }

The second button then reads:

on (rollOver) {
      gotoAndPlay("over");
      }
      on (releaseOutside, rollOut) {
      gotoAndPlay("out");
      }
      on (release) {
      if (_root.link <> 2) {
      _root.link = 2;
      _root.play();
      }
      }

and so on through the list.

The problem is that the buttons simply don't play consistently. I've tried de-constructing the movieclips and find that there seems to be an overlap from button to button and I'm afraid that might be breaking the action. I can't find a way to fix that without breaking the entire movie clip and navigation.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if there's something I might be missing on the Action Script side that could be impacting this?

Hope this is clear -- if not a test is on http://www.cafelaguardiawest.com/main.html

I really would appreciate any help. I'm getting desperate at this point.

Also, any suggestions about where / how I can get up to speed with these sticky wickets? I've been taking the online courses at Linda.com and vtc.com and they help. But there are so many variations and complexities that I keep thinking I need more.

Thanks,

Joan-Marie