• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover Pop-ups

Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2006 Oct 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way of making pop-ups (including text-only) open and close via a mouse rollover rather than relying on them being clicked. My problem is that I am using text-only pop-ups in pages that are already pop-ups and clicking to close the text-only pop-up closes the whole window! My hope is that by using a roll-over the user will still have the original pop-up page when they move away from the text-only pop-up and, also, to make the text-only pop-up appear via a mouse rollover as a click is not necessarily intuitive for the user.

Thanks for your time,
Greig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 16, 2006 Oct 16, 2006
Thanks very much for the replies. I am going to make this message the solution as there is more than one and I can include them in here.

For simplicity the ideas contained in Peter Grainge's snippets page - http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm - under the heading Tooltips are worth considering. Basically storing the pop-up message as Alt text for images or in the <acronym title'"pop-up message in here"> tag for text.

The RoboWizard solution of using Captivate was also a good on...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 16, 2006 Oct 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a General Discussion forum search on "tooltip" with me as Author. My solution (actually Walter Zorn's JavaScript solution) is not easy, but it gives great results!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grieg

In addition to Leon's excellent advice, if you have Captivate at your disposal, you can create rollover popups using it, then insert into topics as needed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks very much for the replies. I am going to make this message the solution as there is more than one and I can include them in here.

For simplicity the ideas contained in Peter Grainge's snippets page - http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm - under the heading Tooltips are worth considering. Basically storing the pop-up message as Alt text for images or in the <acronym title'"pop-up message in here"> tag for text.

The RoboWizard solution of using Captivate was also a good one but I didn't want to embed swf files into my html. Am I missing anything here Rick? Please explain the idea further if I am.

Leon's solution is more complex and took me a while to work around. As with complex solutions it does offer more flexibility in that the pop-up message text that is to appear can be formatted and images can be included. It makes use of a bit of JavaScript from Walter Zorn - http://www.walterzorn.com/tooltip/tooltip_e.htm - for displaying tooltips. The tooltips can be kept in another JavaScript file and called by Walter's script. An example of a JavaScript function that can be called by Walter's script is: function tooltip() {return "Type pop-up message in here and include html code such as <B>bold</B>";}. Walter's page provides plenty of examples.

I leave it up to the reader to pick their preferred solution.
Greig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp