8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2008 5:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director 11 Books

bmohnsen3 Level 1
      When are we going to see Director 11 books - 3rd party?
        • 1. Re: Director 11 Books
          Martin Schaefer Level 1
          Let's be optimistic and say the book would sell 500 times.
          Typical revenue share for authors is around 8%.
          At $40 per book this means $1,600 for the author.
          Can you imagine how comprehensive this book would be? ;)

I doubt there will ever be a D11 book in your bookshelf.
          Maybe a D12 book, but this would be quite some time after a D12 release and only, if D12 has massive improvements which I completely fail to see in D11.

Cheers,
          Martin
          • 2. Re: Director 11 Books
            Level 7
            > Let's be optimistic and say the book would sell 500 times
            Based on what is that optimistic?

"Macromartin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fufrak$a0g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Let's be optimistic and say the book would sell 500 times.
            > Typical revenue share for authors is around 8%.
            > At $40 per book this means $1,600 for the author.
            > Can you imagine how comprehensive this book would be? ;)
            >
            > I doubt there will ever be a D11 book in your bookshelf.
            > Maybe a D12 book, but this would be quite some time after a D12 release
            > and
            > only, if D12 has massive improvements which I completely fail to see in
            > D11.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Martin
            >

• 3. Re: Director 11 Books
              mwh710@hotmail.com
              Actually, as a college professor, I would love to see at D11 book. I would require all on my students to purchase it. I think 500 is quite low, especially considering their Education market they are targetting now.
              • 4. Re: Director 11 Books
                gresh
                I'll buy any D11 book that comes out -- so will a lot of people.
                • 5. Director 11 Books
                  Martin Schaefer Level 1
                  And what would you expect from a D11 book, that couldn't be covered by a Director MX 2004 book? Something on the Ageia PhysX, ok. But what else?
                  Do you really expect any author or publisher take the risk of producing a shelf warmer that covers a product version that is little more than a transitional, intermediate upgrade?

C'mon, be a little realistic guys. A D11 book isn't going to be a business anybody wants to get involved in. You're well advised to maintain your 8.5 - MX 2004 library and maybe adding the ActionScript 2.0 Components for Flash8 book if you need to use Flash in Director.

And while waiting for D12, you could buy "A Bigger Bang" by the Stones which literally is, what Director users are impatiently waiting for now. :)

If you can prove me predicting wrong, I'm perfectly ok with it.
                  But don't blame me if I stay right.

Cheers,
                  Martin
                  • 6. Director 11 Books
                    gresh Level 1
                    I agree with you -- I doubt anyone would write one under the present circumstances. But if they did I would probably buy one out of curiosity; I'm strange like that.
                    • 7. Re: Director 11 Books
                      dan_hin Level 1
                      Why would you want to use D11, let alone buy a book for it? It lacks Xtra support, STILL has no AS3 support and the interface is at least two steps back (and that's saying something - I only started using MX2004 in 2007). Having downloaded the trial, i can safely say that Adobe have done a great job of turning me on to Flash, AIR, and AS3.
                      • 8. Re: Director 11 Books
                        Level 7
                        mwh710@hotmail.com wrote:
                        > Actually, as a college professor, I would love to see at D11 book. I would
                        > require all on my students to purchase it. I think 500 is quite low,
                        > especially considering their Education market they are targetting now.
                        >
                        Just have them buy the MX 2004 Bible used. There is really not that
                        much different, except for the 3D engine. Maybe a 3D graphics in D11
                        would be more appropriate.