5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2006 10:03 PM by Red Rojo

Convert wmv into fla

Red Rojo Level 1
      A client gave me a wmv file. They'd like me to post it on their website. I've got OS X, Flash Pro 8 and Flash 8 Video Encoder. Can I make a Flash movie out of the wmv using what I've got? How? If not, suggestions? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Convert wmv into fla
          Red Rojo Level 1
          Let's put it this way: does anyone -- how bout one of you Macromedia guys who peak in here every once in a while! -- know that this CAN'T be done? I suspect this is the case. And you'd be saving me a lot of time if you know it can't. Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Convert wmv into fla
            Level 7
            You need to convert it into either a FLV or SWF . Sorenson squeeze. Or you
            need a video editor that's compatible with the encoder.

"Red Rojo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:eh611h$if2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >A client gave me a wmv file. They'd like me to post it on their website.
            >I've
            > got OS X, Flash Pro 8 and Flash 8 Video Encoder. Can I make a Flash movie
            > out
            > of the wmv using what I've got? How? If not, suggestions? Thanks.
            >

• 3. Convert wmv into fla
              Red Rojo Level 1
              That's exactly what I want to do. But HOW do I do it? Do you know how to convert wmv to fla or swf? I can't figure out if I can do this with Flash 8 Video Encoder or not. Do you know if it can be done? Or how I could do it?

It's so frustrating trying to get help from Macromedia. Today I spent 45 minutes getting through to someone on Macromedia Phone Support who said "yes" it can be done on the Mac and then I waited more than an hour before I gave up waiting for someone else my call was forwarded to, to tell me how!

Thanks,
              Stephen
              • 4. Re: Convert wmv into fla
                Red Rojo Level 1
                For those who are interested, this looks like the answer! I got this response on the Flash Site Design Forum from Rob Dillon, Adobe Community Expert:

You have most of the parts. WMV formatted video will not play natively
                on a Mac. You will need to use a file converter of some sort to be able
                to use the WMV. Sorenson makes a great product titled Flip4Mac. You will
                need to get the paid version in order to convert the file for use in
                Flash. You can use the free version to play the file in the Quicktime
                player.

Alternately, if you have access to a Windows computer, you can open this
                WMV in most any Windows video editor and save the file out to a
                different format. Uncompressed Quicktime will work well.

Once you have a file that can be played on a Mac, you can then use
                either the Flash Video Encoder app or Flash 8. They both do the same
                thing and have the same set of options and controls. The Video Encoder
                app is best if you have a number of video files to convert to .swf or
                .flv.

There is a tutorial that comes with Flash 8, "Building a Video Player".
                Take a look at this tutorial. It provides a good step by step process
                for creating a video file for Flash.

--
                Rob
                _______
                Rob Dillon
                Adobe Community Expert
                http://www.ddg-designs.com
                412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/

Mark this message as the answer.
                • 5. Re: Convert wmv into fla
                  Red Rojo Level 1
                  Yes! Bought the app. Worked the tutorial. Easy. Excellent. Works perfectly. You are the man!

Suggestion: I could not find this stuff searching the Flash Support Knowledgebase using the terms "wmv to fla." Over two days, I wasted lots of time on hold with Macromedia Tech Support. It would save a lot of folks a lot of time if your instructions were there. And easy to find.

Thanks.