2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2006 11:49 AM by CSI_Bruce

Newbie Questions

turnerboys
      I am just learning flash.... Is is better to build a complete website in Flash and import the whole thing into Dreamweaver or is it better to build a site (possibly using Frames) in Dreamweaver and import some flash into my page?

Help?!!
        • 1. Re: Newbie Questions
          Level 7
          "better"? It kinda like comparing apples to oranges - neither is "better" - not sure how to argue or
          give advice to that - it depends on the site and it's design - so in essence, this question really
          shouldn't be asked because it doesn't make much sense. You should design your site first, then
          figure out the technology needed to make it hapen as efficiently as possible - whether that means
          all flash, some flash, frames, no frames, css, etc....

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

turnerboys wrote:
          > I am just learning flash.... Is is better to build a complete website in Flash
          > and import the whole thing into Dreamweaver or is it better to build a site
          > (possibly using Frames) in Dreamweaver and import some flash into my page?
          >
          > Help?!!
          >
          • 2. Newbie Questions
            CSI_Bruce
            If you were to post this in the DW forum, you would get all kinds of lectures. It seems a lot of the posters there don't particularly care for Flash for site design. Just keep in mind that spiders (for search engines) can't read a Flash file.

I've tried building entire Flash sites in the past, and the main problem I run into is that if the site is built entirely in Flash, that means you have to update the entire Flash file (unless you're using external files, which I'm not too up on).

I mainly use Flash for my "flashy" elements, but use DW for layout, etc. I would recommend that you look at what you want to do and ask yourself if it's possible to do each part without Flash. Then, for each part you think it's possible to do without Flash, do it in html and Flash and see which works better, including load time. Figure it out from there.

It's really up to you.

Oh, and try to stay away from frames....