2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2006 1:52 AM by jpwrunyan

uploading files with unusual characters

jpwrunyan Level 1
      I'm not really sure if this is a Flex/Flash problem or a server-side problem, but when I send a fileReference to the server, the server-side programmer is telling me that files with Japanese characters in the name do not upload. Files containing only English characters, however, work fine. Has anyone run into this specific problem? I suspect that there's mojibake taking place either when Internet Explorer sends the info or when the server trys to collect it but I can't currenly view the POST data from the browser. Anyway, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: uploading files with unusual characters
          Level 7
          jpwrunyan wrote:
          > but when I send a fileReference to the server, the server-side programmer is
          > telling me that files with Japanese characters in the name do not upload.
          > Files containing only English characters, however, work fine. Has anyone run
          > into this specific problem? I suspect that there's mojibake taking place
          > either when Internet Explorer sends the info or when the server trys to collect
          > it

Saving files with Japanese names is never a good idea in a web context
          because of encoding problems. You need to find out what encoding the
          operating system uses. Flash/Flex uses UTF-8, but Windows uses
          Shift_JIS, while Linux normally uses EUC, so you'll need to find some
          way of converting the filenames to the appropriate encoding - or stick
          with ASCII filenames.

--
          David Powers
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: uploading files with unusual characters
            jpwrunyan Level 1
            I suspected the problem was something like you said with UTF-8 and SHIFT-JIS but actually the server-side team already took that into account. What actually turned out to be the problem was that the test file had 0 bytes. For some reason that caused the error. Thanks for the help, though.