3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 2:39 PM by cjallen1

Advice on freelance web design

x_defect Level 1
      I haven't done a lot of freelance work.. normally I charge by the hour, but for something like a website it's harder to estimate how long it will take.
      The website my potential client (a former employer) wants doesn't seem that complex, just a lot of content.

(The example he sent me was this: http://www.immihelp.com/)

For a site like this, what would be a reasonable price range? Factors to consider are I have about 3.5 years experience, my normal freelance rate would be around $20/hr, and I used to work in-house for this guy so I'd prob charge less than for any random company.

Thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Advice on freelance web design
          joeq Level 1
          this question comes up often and, unfortunately, it's unanswerable by anyone but you.

that said, here are some factors for consideration:

- your overhead
          - how much profit you need to make in order for the job to be worthwhile
          - assuming that it's necessary that the project be handled locally, average rates in your area
          - how long you think the project will take
          - can, based on your experience, you do it faster/better than others?
          - the value that the client is gaining by having this site
          - the clients budget
          - your need for the work

-
          quote:

Originally posted by: x_defect
          I haven't done a lot of freelance work.. normally I charge by the hour, but for something like a website it's harder to estimate how long it will take.
          The website my potential client (a former employer) wants doesn't seem that complex, just a lot of content.

For a site like this, what would be a reasonable price range? Factors to consider are I have about 3.5 years experience, my normal freelance rate would be around $20/hr, and I used to work in-house for this guy so I'd prob charge less than for any random company.

Thoughts?

• 2. Re: Advice on freelance web design
            x_defect Level 1
            i'll to consider those things. i feel like this one's kind of a gray area tho b/c i know the guy..i'd feel more comfortable charging more if it was for a new client/bigger company.

does anyone know of a good resource to find the going rate for comparison?
            (particularly in Chicago or any big city)

quote:

Originally posted by: joeq
            this question comes up often and, unfortunately, it's unanswerable by anyone but you.

that said, here are some factors for consideration:

- your overhead
            - how much profit you need to make in order for the job to be worthwhile
            - assuming that it's necessary that the project be handled locally, average rates in your area
            - how long you think the project will take
            - can, based on your experience, you do it faster/better than others?
            - the value that the client is gaining by having this site
            - the clients budget
            - your need for the work

-
            quote:

Originally posted by: x_defect

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Advice on freelance web design
              cjallen1
              I think I'm in the same boat as yourself,

i've done a few freelance web site projects which I've charged by the page, around £100 !

Does this help ?

C