4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2006 3:34 PM by deanmac

power surge file recovery

deanmac
      I was working on a file n flash that had recently been saved when the power surged and the power was lost briefly. We had to restart teh servers that the file was locaed on. After doing that, I see the file on the servr and it looks like it has the appropriate file size (similar to earlier versions of the file) so it is there, but flash (8) says "failed to open document" when I try to open it. It will only open an earlier named version from that morning. Is there any way to get that file to open? Or is ther another progam that might check it for something damaged? Could it really fry a file that was saved because it was pen during the surge?
      Help.
        • 1. Re: power surge file recovery
          Nickels55 Level 2
          Flash files seem to get corrupted pretty easily. There should be a warning label on the box that says "Back-up your important files or your going to be very unhappy someday".

The only thing I can think of is decompiling the last working swf file. SoThink makes one called Flash Decompilier. It seems to do a pretty good job of creating a working fla from only a swf file. They are far from perfect though, and it may take some time to get your fla back to normal.
          • 2. Re: power surge file recovery
            Level 7
            We see this same issue almost weekly here - it is always with people working/saving to a network
            drive - it has always been not the best practice - for any kind of file and program. Simply put -
            never work/save to a network if you can help it - any hiccup in connection or power loss will result
            in a loss of work and potential file corruption.
            Always save locally and *copy* to a network drive for sharing and backup puposes.

I know this doesnt help but your file is lost forever.
            next time, if this happens - *do not close the file in flash* - copy all frames and paste into a
            *new* fla and save it locally.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
            --> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

deanmac wrote:
            > I was working on a file n flash that had recently been saved when the power
            > surged and the power was lost briefly. We had to restart teh servers that the
            > file was locaed on. After doing that, I see the file on the servr and it looks
            > like it has the appropriate file size (similar to earlier versions of the
            > file) so it is there, but flash (8) says "failed to open document" when I try
            > to open it. It will only open an earlier named version from that morning. Is
            > there any way to get that file to open? Or is ther another progam that might
            > check it for something damaged? Could it really fry a file that was saved
            > because it was pen during the surge?
            > Help.
            >
            >
            • 3. Re: power surge file recovery
              Level 7
              We see this same issue almost weekly here - it is always with people working/saving to a network
              drive - it has always been not the best practice - for any kind of file and program. Simply put -
              never work/save to a network if you can help it - any hiccup in connection or power loss will result
              in a loss of work and potential file corruption.
              Always save locally and *copy* to a network drive for sharing and backup purposes.

I know this doesnt help but your file is lost forever.
              next time, if this happens - *do not close the file in flash* - copy all frames and paste into a
              *new* fla and save it locally.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

deanmac wrote:
              > I was working on a file n flash that had recently been saved when the power
              > surged and the power was lost briefly. We had to restart teh servers that the
              > file was locaed on. After doing that, I see the file on the servr and it looks
              > like it has the appropriate file size (similar to earlier versions of the
              > file) so it is there, but flash (8) says "failed to open document" when I try
              > to open it. It will only open an earlier named version from that morning. Is
              > there any way to get that file to open? Or is ther another progam that might
              > check it for something damaged? Could it really fry a file that was saved
              > because it was pen during the surge?
              > Help.
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: power surge file recovery
                deanmac Level 1
                Thanks everyone. I have gone through all the grieving steps and come to terms with the fact that I will be redoing my work. The swf idea is a good one though I was making a commercial for TV so I wasn't doing test swf's as i was going.

So the moral is think globally, SAVE LOCALLY!