2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2006 1:12 PM by parkeast

Require Email

parkeast
      Hey all,

We've just completed adding extra video on this site and they are wanting to make it so people can't view the videos (on the videos page that is) unless they enter their email.

They want the entered emails to be "dumped" to a file, and then if someone has entered their email once already (from a computer or IP I'm assuming) to go ahead and let them in.

Does anyone feel like helping me out on this? :)
      Possibly even point me in the direction of a component or the like that could do this.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Require Email
          TimSymons Level 1
          A couple of things.

1) You will need to use somekind of server script as well as the Flash stuff to be able to update a Database or XML (or text) file on the server.
          2) You should probably have each use log in everytime they come to the page, or maybe use cookies to remember them.

If you use an IP for identification then you would not be able to certain which person was accessing your site. For example, the company I work for uses a Proxy server, so the thousands of people who work here all access the web with the same 1 or 2 IP numbers because it is actually the Proxy servers that are making the page requests.

Anyway, you should look at some PHP or ASP or .NET scripts. Kirupa.com has some PHP and .NET tutorials that should get you started.

Tim
          • 2. Re: Require Email
            parkeast Level 1
            Thanks! I will let you know if I find anything and figure it out. For now they've decided to "hold off" on the idea all together.