4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2006 7:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks or Illustrator?

Level 7
      I'm not sure what Adobes future plans are for former Macromedia products. I
      think I heard they were getting rid of Fireworks in favor of Illustrator and
      getting rid of Go Live in favor of Dreamweaver. I'm really caught at a
      crossroad here. Right now i'm using Fireworks 8 and I like it but alot of
      people have been telling me to switch to Illustrator instead. Basically the
      only things I would be using either of them for are optimizing images for
      the web and creating banners, graphics, and buttons for my websites. Having
      said this is either one of these better than the other one? I don't like
      how some of the buttons I create in Fireworks have such pixelated looking
      text even when I use a smooth anti-alias. I want the text to look crisp and
      perfect but for some reason I can't get any of the text on my buttons to
      appear perfect like this...

-Chris

• 1. Re: Fireworks or Illustrator?
          llamaparsnip Level 1
          There is going to be another version at least of Fireworks, so I wouldn't worry about Adobe getting rid of it just yet.

Why don't you use the free trial of Illustrator for a while and see what you think?
          • 2. Re: Fireworks or Illustrator?
            Level 7
            Perhaps I will try that... They are both comparible products though
            correct? I guess I'm just trying to figure out in general if one of them is
            more ideal than the other... I guess I should probably download the free
            trial though which I will do now...

"llamaparsnip" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:eh2drr$svh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > There is going to be another version at least of Fireworks, so I wouldn't
            > worry
            > about Adobe getting rid of it just yet.
            >
            > Why don't you use the free trial of Illustrator for a while and see what
            > you
            > think?
            >

• 3. Re: Fireworks or Illustrator?
              Level 7
              Chris Jumonville wrote:
              > I'm not sure what Adobes future plans are for former Macromedia products. I
              > think I heard they were getting rid of Fireworks in favor of Illustrator and
              > getting rid of Go Live in favor of Dreamweaver.

Adobe announced months ago that they would continue to develop Fireworks.

> I want the text to look crisp and
              > perfect but for some reason I can't get any of the text on my buttons to
              > appear perfect like this...

Perfect like what? :-)

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.projectseven.com
              Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
              CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
              Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              • 4. Re: Fireworks or Illustrator?
                Level 7
                Chris Jumonville wrote:
                > I'm not sure what Adobes future plans are for former Macromedia
                > products. I think I heard they were getting rid of Fireworks in
                > favor of Illustrator and getting rid of Go Live in favor of
                > Dreamweaver.

I have no idea where you might have heard that since Adobe has stated
                months ago that Fireworks was under active development. This week they
                have even sent out a public call for beta testers for the new version:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/

See the second link right below the link to my newly published article
                (the original version was published on my pixelyzed.com site a few
                months ago). As for Dreamweaver, it's not going anywhere either.

> I'm really caught at a crossroad here. Right now i'm using Fireworks
                > 8 and I like it but alot of people have been telling me to switch to
                > Illustrator instead. Basically the only things I would be using
                > either of them for are optimizing images for the web and creating
                > banners, graphics, and buttons for my websites.

Whoever told you that is giving you very bad advice. Fireworks is by far
                the best application for creating, optimizing and exporting Web
                graphics. I use Illustrator almost everyday for other kinds of tasks but
                I would not use it for Web site layout and graphics creation work. Refer
                those people to my article linked on the page above. They might finally
                understand why Fireworks is not like Illustrator, not like Photoshop and
                does things you'd need all both in addition to ImageReady to do...

> Having said this is either one of these better than the other one? I
                > don't like how some of the buttons I create in Fireworks have such
                > pixelated looking text even when I use a smooth anti-alias. I want
                > the text to look crisp and perfect but for some reason I can't get
                > any of the text on my buttons to appear perfect like this...

I'd need to see the actual graphics and source files but there are too
                many variables to take into account to offer any useful suggestions
                here. All I can say at this point is that I have no trouble exporting
                graphics with clean text out of Fireworks.

--
                Stéphane Bergeron
                reach : connect : communicate
                http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                http://www.pixelyzed.com