5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2006 12:18 AM by Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP

Quicktime Movie Question

KrisCons
      Hi all,

Quick question! I have a quicktime movie which is 150mb in size that needs to be displayed/play via a flash website. I have never incorporated QT movies into flash before but my quick question is this - because it is 150mb in size, is it simply a case of embedding the QT movie into a movieclip, and then preloading that movie clip as I would normally via a preloader class in actionscript? Or does working with QT movies work completely different?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Quicktime Movie Question
          Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP Level 2
          Hi,
          150 MB for a movie is very big even if you are going to add a prelaoder, this will make your people wait ages till it loads and embeding will not help you with such big size. you can convert it into FLV and use a progressive download instead. Although I think the size will remain big but this may be a solution.

Hope this helps
          • 2. Re: Quicktime Movie Question
            KrisCons Level 1
            Hi,

Not sure what an FLV is - any idea where I can find examples of how to convert etc?
            Thanks for the quick response.
            • 3. Re: Quicktime Movie Question
              Level 7
              I agree - search the help docs, adobe.com or this forum for "flash video" or "FLV" - been discussed
              and written about extensively - use a video editor or something like Media Cleaner to compress your
              movie to FLV format (which will make it smaller) than leave it external from the flash movie and
              load it progressively during runtime to avoid makingn the user wait for the whole this to load
              (which will take a long time).

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

rafiqelmansy wrote:
              > Hi,
              > 150 MB for a movie is very big even if you are going to add a prelaoder, this
              > will make your people wait ages till it loads and embeding will not help you
              > with such big size. you can convert it into FLV and use a progressive download
              > instead. Although I think the size will remain big but this may be a solution.
              >
              > Hope this helps
              >
              • 4. Re: Quicktime Movie Question
                Level 7
                Help docs (hit F1) - all documentation to learn flash comes with flash - FLV has been around for a
                couple of versions and is written about all over the web and in the developers section of adobe.com
                - just search - try google - we could type it out here but it already exists in easy to find places.
                flash comes with the FLV exporter - it is probably installed on your system already. if you cant
                find links to articles on adobe.com or in the help docs let us know.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                --> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

KrisCons wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > Not sure what an FLV is - any idea where I can find examples of how to convert etc?
                > Thanks for the quick response.
                • 5. Re: Quicktime Movie Question
                  Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP Level 2
                  Hi,
                  Sorry, I have been away for a while,if you are using Flash 8. It converts your file to a FLV by default when you choose progressive or streaming methods.
                  To do so:
                  1- File > Import > Import video
                  2- follow the wizrd steps and when it comes to download method, use progressive
                  3- after finishing Flash will create an FLV file for your video next to your FLA file.

And as Chris said, the Flash help files contain all you need to know about FLV.