• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compiled Outputs always add Underscores to Links

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I use alot of PDFs and other external files in my RH project. When creating a link to an external file in RoboHelp, it asks me to import the file to the project (as a baggage file). This works just fine and I like. Previewing the topic, the links work.

THe problem is with the compiled output (ANY kind of output). RoboHelp copies the baggage files without modifing the file names (as I would think it should). BUT the links on the pages of the compiled output have had the spaces turned into Underscores, even though the real file names use no Underscores.

Clicking on the hyperlinks therefor do nothing because the target file does not exist.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2006 Sep 22, 2006
Well, I just got done with Adobe support (After 4 hours of telephone calls) and her is the problem & fix/work around:

With the X5.2 Update and recent MS Explorer security patches, this problem occurs with Flash Layouts specificly due to "Active Content".

When compiling an output, RoboHelp adds a "Mark of the Internet" tag just below the Doctype statement in the outputed HTML code of the page. This is the problem, this extra tag that is added. If you look at the code posted above, just after th...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Well I've been using RH for a long time and had never seen that one but it does happen exactly as you describe. I nearly always use underscores though so perhaps that is why I haven't hit the problem. I also notice that the link in the source remains unchanged, it is only changed in the output.

On a hunch I turned off Use Underscores in File Names in Tools | Options. That should not cause this problem but you never know. However, that too makes no difference.

The bit that worries me here is that I don't think anyone has reported this before and I cannot believe nobody has done what you are doing. So any ideas anyone? (Apart from the obvious, use underscores)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 22, 2006 Sep 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not working the project on a network (or mapped drive), are we? If so, don't do that!

How about using the Attach Code link below to insert a sample link, for our perusal? We might detect something.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already tried turning off the use underscore option, but thanks anyway.

Also, I did origionally have the project on a network drive, than a USB drive, than my PC drive. No change.

I just created a new test project and have attached the True Code for the uncompiled (First section) AND the compiled section.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon

The code that has been posted exactly mirrors what I got in a test on the hard disk. The link is correct in the source (has spaces) and has been incorrectly converted in the output. Doesn't help solve the problem other than to confirm it is not happening as a result of the project having spent some of its life on the network.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just got done with Adobe support (After 4 hours of telephone calls) and her is the problem & fix/work around:

With the X5.2 Update and recent MS Explorer security patches, this problem occurs with Flash Layouts specificly due to "Active Content".

When compiling an output, RoboHelp adds a "Mark of the Internet" tag just below the Doctype statement in the outputed HTML code of the page. This is the problem, this extra tag that is added. If you look at the code posted above, just after the Doctype statement, there is a new tag there (I missed it too). I copied the code of the compiled version below:

<!doctype HTML public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">

<!-- saved from url=(0026) http://www.macromedia.com/ -->
<html>

Work Arounds:
1) Go into every page of the compilied outputs (I plan on using a multi-find & replace tool) to the source code level and delete the "Mark fo the Internet" tag (This is the "saved from url" line shown above.
2) Use the WebHelp Single Source Layout. It does not have this problem, so no Flash.
3) Revert your copy of RoboHelp Office X5.0.2 back to X5.0.1 via the Add/Remove function of Windows in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps anyone else you runs into this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Webhelp does have that problem with 5.0.2.as that is what I was generating and I got the problem as well. It must be that you have to generate webhelp and revert to 5.0.1. Not good if you want to use Word 2003.

The bit that puzzles me though is how does removing the mark of the web correct the links that are wrong?

Has just removing the MOTW fixed things? I can't believe that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp