3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2009 1:46 PM by Newsgroup_User

Common utility library for multiple websites (PHP/Dreamweaver)?

Level 7
      I am working on several PHP-based websites, and would like to use the same utilities in
      them all. The local directories for the individual websites are all subdirectories of the
      website D: Websites.

I could fairly readily put the utilities in a website D: Websites/Utilities, put a copy of
      this directory in the root directory of each website on the server, and tell PHP to load
      the utilities from the correct place, according to whether I'm running on the local or the
      remote server, but Dreamweaver does not seem to have any provision which would allow me to
      use it to upload new versions of the utilities from the Common local area to the remote
      servers. Is there any way to do this, or will I have to write a special PHP utility?

• 1. Re: Common utility library for multiple websites (PHP/Dreamweaver)?
          Level 7
          If no other answer arrives, it would be easy with a separate FTP program
          like WS-FTP

"Clancy" <clancy_1@cybec.com.au> wrote in message
          news:n18nn4hsk040vkjbr8ljfpamdtufec0fje@4ax.com...
          >I am working on several PHP-based websites, and would like to use the same
          >utilities in
          > them all. The local directories for the individual websites are all
          > subdirectories of the
          > website D: Websites.
          >
          > I could fairly readily put the utilities in a website D:
          > Websites/Utilities, put a copy of
          > this directory in the root directory of each website on the server, and
          > tell PHP to load
          > the utilities from the correct place, according to whether I'm running on
          > the local or the
          > remote server, but Dreamweaver does not seem to have any provision which
          > would allow me to
          > use it to upload new versions of the utilities from the Common local area
          > to the remote
          > servers. Is there any way to do this, or will I have to write a special
          > PHP utility?
          >

• 2. Re: Common utility library for multiple websites (PHP/Dreamweaver)?
            Level 7
            Clancy wrote:
            > Dreamweaver does not seem to have any provision which would allow me to
            > use it to upload new versions of the utilities from the Common local area to the remote
            > servers.

Dreamweaver is site based, and it works on the assumption that the site
            folder is the server root. This was appropriate in the early days of
            Dreamweaver when sites were created with static HTML and everything
            needed to be in the server root. It's less convenient when building
            dynamic sites that rely on libraries located outside the server root.

Several beta testers have urged Adobe to improve the site definition
            setup so that libraries outside the server root can be easily maintained
            and uploaded from within Dreamweaver. Unfortunately, Adobe has not
            changed the way sites are defined to meet this increasingly common
            scenario. The more people who submit formal requests for this to happen,
            the more likely Adobe is to respond. Submit a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
            David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
            Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
            "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
            http://foundationphp.com/
            • 3. Re: Common utility library for multiple websites (PHP/Dreamweaver)?
              Level 7
              On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:52:50 +0000, David Powers <david@example.com> wrote:

>Clancy wrote:
              >> Dreamweaver does not seem to have any provision which would allow me to
              >> use it to upload new versions of the utilities from the Common local area to the remote
              >> servers.
              >
              >Dreamweaver is site based, and it works on the assumption that the site
              >folder is the server root. This was appropriate in the early days of
              >Dreamweaver when sites were created with static HTML and everything
              >needed to be in the server root. It's less convenient when building
              >dynamic sites that rely on libraries located outside the server root.
              >
              >Several beta testers have urged Adobe to improve the site definition
              >setup so that libraries outside the server root can be easily maintained
              >and uploaded from within Dreamweaver. Unfortunately, Adobe has not
              >changed the way sites are defined to meet this increasingly common
              >scenario. The more people who submit formal requests for this to happen,
              >the more likely Adobe is to respond. Submit a feature request here:
              >
              > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thanks, David. I have put in a request.