2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2006 5:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

WMODE fix for Safari

ben777
      My problem is that I have some suckerfish dropdown menus over a flash element in my site. As most of us know, using some z-index trickery and wmode-transparent takes care of the dropdown always showing up on top of the flash element in most browsers. Except Safari, because of an admitted bug in the browser, Safari can't render wmode correctly.

I searched high and low for a solution and one day came across a small script in your .htaccess file that tells Safari to render the wmode correctly. I plopped it into the site and it fixed the issue. My .htaccess file was written over by someone else and now I can't for the life of me find that script again. Does anybody know where I could find that, or what the solution would be?

Thank you,
      Ben
        • 1. Re: WMODE fix for Safari
          Level 7

ben777 wrote:
          > My problem is that I have some suckerfish dropdown menus over a flash element
          > in my site. As most of us know, using some z-index trickery and
          > wmode-transparent takes care of the dropdown always showing up on top of the
          > flash element in most browsers. Except Safari, because of an admitted bug in
          > the browser, Safari can't render wmode correctly.

> I searched high and low for a solution and one day came across a small script
          > in your .htaccess file that tells Safari to render the wmode correctly. I
          > plopped it into the site and it fixed the issue. My .htaccess file was written
          > over by someone else and now I can't for the life of me find that script again.
          > Does anybody know where I could find that, or what the solution would be?

Hi there Ben
          I'm afraid you confused something, the htaccess has not much to do with the Wmode
          and it can't control nor influence such options, it is for configuration changes per
          directory . Wmode is strictly browser option/feature, some simply supports while other
          not and that's beyond Fixable.
          Safari 1.0 did not support wmode at all if I'm not wrong, the newer version perhaps.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: WMODE fix for Safari
            Level 7
            NEVER EVER use transparent mode .. it is not fully supported on all
            platform, and even on those that DO support it, it causes bugs in movies
            (like buttons not working, movies playing upside down, objects shifting
            unexpectedly, repaint problems etc etc)

wmode opaque is (i think) less buggy, so give that a try.

Otherwise, redesign your site to avoid needing transparent swf, as there is
            no solution for the transparent mode problems.
            --
            Jeckyl