5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 9:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

DIV Tag Scroll Bars

ethomasmcginnis Level 1
      I have a AP Div box that I want to hold more text than the vertical length has room for. I checked the box in the Positioning category for the overflow to scroll. This is all good. But is there any way to specify that I don't want the scroll bar bottom gray box?

http://www.communicationssquared.com/C2newsite/services.html

I can deal with the right scroll bar, because it's useful, but do I have to have that gray non-scroll bar on the bottom?
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: DIV Tag Scroll Bars
          Level 7
          .oO(ethomasmcginnis)

>I have a AP Div box that I want to hold more text than the vertical length has
          >room for. I checked the box in the Positioning category for the overflow to
          >scroll. This is all good. But is there any way to specify that I don't want the
          >scroll bar bottom gray box?

Try 'overflow-y' instead of 'overflow'. It's CSS 3, but many browsers
          already support it.

Micha
          • 2. Re: DIV Tag Scroll Bars
            Level 7
            ethomasmcginnis wrote:
            > I have a AP Div box that I want to hold more text than the vertical length has
            > room for. I checked the box in the Positioning category for the overflow to
            > scroll. This is all good. But is there any way to specify that I don't want the
            > scroll bar bottom gray box?
            >
            > http://www.communicationssquared.com/C2newsite/services.html
            >
            > I can deal with the right scroll bar, because it's useful, but do I have to
            > have that gray non-scroll bar on the bottom?
            > Thanks.
            >

Or even better than Micha's suggestion, let the content flow down the
            page and use the scrollbar the browser gives you.

--
            Bonnie
            • 3. Re: DIV Tag Scroll Bars
              ethomasmcginnis Level 1
              Awesome, Micha! That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you!

Guess that's a case of code working better than the Dreamweaver check box.
              Thanks for the suggestion, Bonnie, but I have a background box that I want everything to stay within the height of. That's why I used an AP Div box to the height I wanted it to stay.
              • 4. Re: DIV Tag Scroll Bars
                Level 7
                >>I want
                >>I wanted

Bonnie's suggestion is consistent with what your site visitor is likely to
                want.

As always, a word to the wise is superfluous.

--

Walt

"ethomasmcginnis" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gl7mh8$76t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Awesome, Micha! That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you!
                >
                > Guess that's a case of code working better than the Dreamweaver check box.
                > Thanks for the suggestion, Bonnie, but I have a background box that I want
                > everything to stay within the height of. That's why I used an AP Div box
                > to the
                > height I wanted it to stay.
                >

• 5. Re: DIV Tag Scroll Bars
                  Level 7
                  On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:38:26 +0000 (UTC), "ethomasmcginnis"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I checked the box in the Positioning category for the overflow to
                  >scroll. This is all good. But is there any way to specify that I don't want the
                  >scroll bar bottom gray box?

Change it from scroll to auto.

Gary