4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2006 12:07 AM by Vianon

Flex and Java Applet

Vianon
      Hi,

I'm currently trying to evaluate Flex in order to replace an application which uses a 3270 emulator, interfaced through a Java Applet.

I understand that flex can communicate with an applet using JavaScript, however I don't see how to integrate the applet in the html page generated by Flex.

How can I integrate a Java applet in the html page generated by Flex ?

Regards.

Vianney
        • 1. Re: Flex and Java Applet
          peterent Level 2
          You can make a copy of the HTML that Flex generates then modify it to include the Java applet (which you will have to do because you will need to put in your JavaScript code to that page as well for Flex to access via ExternalInterface). This is a very common practice.

• 2. Re: Flex and Java Applet
            Vianon Level 1
            Thank you Peter !

I'll definitly try that.
            In another topic (hope I'm not asking you too much !) do you know if there is a way to interact with Word or Excel document in Flex ? Fill some of the informations on a contract for example.

Thanks again.

Regards

Vianney
            • 3. Re: Flex and Java Applet
              peterent Level 2
              I don't know of any way for Flex - the Flash Player - to interact with Word or Excel. If I had to try something, I'd pursue a browser/JavaScript path - perhaps there's something in IE or another ActiveX control that help. You could use the Flash ExternalInterface from Flex to work with JavaScript and take it from there.

Make another post in this forum and/or flexcoders.
              • 4. Re: Flex and Java Applet
                Vianon Level 1
                Thanks again for this prompt answer, I'm going to make another post on this peculiar subject to see if and how people do it.

Regards.

Vianney