9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2006 2:30 PM by kkane2281

Need help with inserting hyperlinks

kkane2281
      I have created a slideshow presentation and the slides are all under one presentation. They are only scrolling in the presentation field. I have the presentation field separated by Keyframes. I ahve 4 keyframes and they all have a picture attached to them. This is how I am getting my scroll to work. It is not working any other way. The only thing that I need to figure out now is how to get the hyperlinks to work. The only way that I can get it to go to the link, is by putting goto and the link but that is not enabling me to click on the link, it is just opening it when the page loads. I need to know how I can get the hyperlinks to work when you click and not when you load. I am sure that this is a script issue, but I am not sure what I am supposed to type in the script to get it to work. I just need some guidance on this. Can someone please let me know for one if I am on the right track and if not please direct me there too. But most importantly, I need to get the hyperlinks working.

Thanks,
      Katie Kane
        • 1. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
          TimSymons Level 1
          Katie,

To activate a link when you click on it, the link would have either have to be a button like object or the text would have to be written as HTML text and then you could use the <a href> tag.

Could you post the code you are having problems with now? If would help in giving you better information.

Tim
          • 2. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
            kkane2281 Level 1
            Well as of now, I do not have any code in there, because I am not sure where to start with that part. I attempted it, but I cannot get it right. So I do not have anything in there. That is why I am coming to you to see if I could get some assistance with the code part. Just let me know what I need to be doing. What code would I need to put to get the Hyperlink to work.
            • 3. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
              TimSymons Level 1
              Your textfield would have to be dynamic and have HTML set to true. For example, let's say you have a dynamic textfield in a movieclip with the instance name of tf.

tf.html = true; // This tells the textfield to render any supported HTML tags
              tf.htmlText = "<a href=' http://www.adobe.com' target='_blank'>Adobe</a>";

This would display the word Adobe in the textfield name tf, and the word Adobe would be a hyperlink.

Tim
              • 4. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                kkane2281 Level 1
                But what if I already have all of my text in the picture and I want the picture itself to be the link. I want to be able to put this on our website. The way that I have my slideshow pictures separated is in one slide, just separated with keyframes. I have a picture in each keyframe and that is how I have the slide show scrolling. I need to know how to just make the picture a hyperlink. The other thing that I am trying to do is get the transition changed for the slideshow rate.
                • 5. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                  TimSymons Level 1
                  For the images to be clickable, they will have to either be Buttons or MovieClips. If your images on the stage are Graphics then to easily turn them into MovieClips, select one of them and then press the F8 key. Make sure to select MovieClip in the radio button list. Once you have turned it into a MovieClip you will have to give it an Instance name (see the Properties dialoge box near the buttom of the screen in Flash). You will use the Instance name to reference this image (now a MovieClip) in ActionScript.

Assume that you have done the steps above and named your movieclip myImage. Then to allow it to be clickable just place the following action script on the key frame where the image is located:

myImage.onRelease = function() {
                  getURL(" http://www.adobe.com", "_blank");
                  };

Then when you click on the image it will open a new browser window and goto the web address provided.

Does this help more?

Tim
                  • 6. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                    kkane2281 Level 1
                    **Error** Screen=presentation, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler
                    Billpay.onRelease = function() {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

This is the error that it gives me when I put this code in the actionscript:

Billpay.onRelease = function() {
                    getURL(" http://www.adobe.com","_blank");
                    };

I was using the adobe.com website just to test.
                    Can you please help me with this.

Thanks,
                    Katie
                    • 7. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                      TimSymons Level 1
                      You must have placed this script on the button/movieclip. That means you selected the Movieclip, then wrot e that script in the ActionScript window. The way you have the script written, you have to place it on a frame. Select you movieclip and remove the script attached to it. Then click on a keyframe on the timeline and paste that script there. A small "a" should appear above the black keyframe dot. That tells you that that frame contains a script.

To keep it in the location that you have, you would have to write it like this:

on(release) {
                      getURL(" http://www.adobe.com","_blank");
                      }

However, I would recommend putting the script in the frame instead of attaching to the movieclip like this.

Tim
                      • 8. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                        kkane2281 Level 1
                        ok I see what I did wrong. It is working now the way that you first told me. Thank you. Now I have another question. I want to change the way the transition is displayed. Is there a way to do this in Action Script?
                        • 9. Re: Need help with inserting hyperlinks
                          kkane2281 Level 1
                          I also need help with the action script for the transition between pictures.