9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2006 6:06 PM by Newsgroup_User

Do I need a license?

Drumminxx
      I got into a discussion recently about licensing issues and was told that even though we bought the Flash software to develop swf files we still need to purchase a license to use flash content on a web site, I never heard of this and disagreed with this but to be sure...

Do we need a license?

This is going to be used on an intranet site if that makes a difference, thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Do I need a license?
          Level 7
          you do not need to have a license to upload flash content - the plugin is free. You do need to
          license to distribute the actual player though if you are offline. See this:

http://www.adobe.com/licensing/distribution/

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

Drumminxx wrote:
          > I got into a discussion recently about licensing issues and was told that even
          > though we bought the Flash software to develop swf files we still need to
          > purchase a license to use flash content on a web site, I never heard of this
          > and disagreed with this but to be sure...
          >
          > Do we need a license?
          >
          > This is going to be used on an intranet site if that makes a difference,
          > thanks in advance
          >
          • 2. Re: Do I need a license?
            Drumminxx Level 1
            hhmmm... it's kind of confusing, we are behind a firewall that allows only limited internet access to certain sites, so if we allowed adobe.com would we be in compliance or does the site need to be accesible to outside sources?
            • 3. Re: Do I need a license?
              Level 7
              I am really not official adobe support - all i can say is read the FAQ:
              http://www.adobe.com/licensing/distribution/faq/

if that doesnt answer your question then I would call Adobe support or fill out the request form:
              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=licensing

hope this helps.

--> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

Drumminxx wrote:
              > hhmmm... it's kind of confusing, we are behind a firewall that allows only
              > limited internet access to certain sites, so if we allowed adobe.com would we
              > be in compliance or does the site need to be accesible to outside sources?
              >
              • 4. Re: Do I need a license?
                Drumminxx Level 1
                Thanks for your help
                • 5. Re: Do I need a license?
                  at_play Level 1
                  If you are embedding the OCX or Flash Player inside of a third party application, software you created or had created then you need a seperate license as well. The free licenses that are on the adobe site does not cover these instances.

Also if you are creating flash content for hand held devices, portable versions of operating systems etc.. If you distribute the flash player on these devices you need a license that is NOT covered by the free distribution license.

At least that is my understanding.

Flash content itself you do NOT need a license.

Distributing the flash player, in certain circumstances you do NOT need a license in the rest of the cases it will cost you money. Depends on what and how you do it.

As Chris stated, contact Adobe to be sure if you are distributing the player itself.

My 2 cents...
                  • 6. Re: Do I need a license?
                    Drumminxx Level 1
                    No, this is just a simple web banner with a little flash animation, which is why I don't understand why my counterparts are claiming we need a license. The even funnier part of it all is that these dell computers came with the flash plug-in already installed, so I am going to call adobe to check this out.
                    • 7. Re: Do I need a license?
                      Level 7
                      I am 99.999% sure you won't need a license just to view it - you may need a license to distribute
                      the player offline - but if your IT dept can give access to the adobe.com domain (at least
                      temporarily) to upgrade their player - then you're fine.

--> www.mudbubble.com
                      --> www.keyframer.com

Drumminxx wrote:
                      > No, this is just a simple web banner with a little flash animation, which is
                      > why I don't understand why my counterparts are claiming we need a license. The
                      > even funnier part of it all is that these dell computers came with the flash
                      > plug-in already installed, so I am going to call adobe to check this out.
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Do I need a license?
                        Drumminxx Level 1
                        Wow Chris! I just checked out keyframer.com the video tutorials are great, looks like I'll be spending alot of time there. I'm a Programmer/Web Developer and although I can make some really cool flash mp3, video, etc. players and import data to make some really "flashy" web sites my character animation is very, very limited. Thanks for shedding some light.
                        • 9. Re: Do I need a license?
                          Level 7
                          :)
                          cool.

thanks

--> www.mudbubble.com
                          --> www.keyframer.com

Drumminxx wrote:
                          > Wow Chris! I just checked out keyframer.com the video tutorials are great,
                          > looks like I'll be spending alot of time there. I'm a Programmer/Web Developer
                          > and although I can make some really cool flash mp3, video, etc. players and
                          > import data to make some really "flashy" web sites my character animation is
                          > very, very limited. Thanks for shedding some light.
                          >