4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2006 8:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

CONVERT SWF / FLA FILES TO MOVIE CLIPS

liamfahy
      Hi all!

I have just created my first website, please have a quick look -

www.thebrightsidedesign.com

Each page is an individual swf file which as you can see is giving me problems with a gap between each page. to solve this I have been advised to convert the whole site to one flash file and have each current swf file as individual movie clips.

1. is this the best way to solve my problem?

2. is this a really big job?

3. How do I do it!!? Please remember that I am very new to Flash - I need to know how to quickly convert an fla file containing symbols, tweens etc etc to one single movie clip?

Thanks

Liam
        • 1. Re: CONVERT SWF / FLA FILES TO MOVIE CLIPS
          pall zoltan
          hi Liam

if i was you, i'd probably make a main swf which loads the external ones... but this can be a bit complicated for you if you are not too familiar with AS
          i'd say you should take all the FLA files, and do this to all of them: open the library, create a folder (for eg. folder called "about me" for aboutme.fla, etc), then put everything from the libary inthis folder (except the folder itself of course), then go to the scene of the FLA, and select all the frames, from all layers (from frame 0 till the last frame)

then go to the newly created main.fla, and create a new keyframe, press CTRL+F8 to create a new movieclip, and then paste in the movieclip all those frames that you copied

do this with all your sections, so that you have each section in a movieclip in separate frames, and all you have to do now is to modify the action for each button. eg: "about me" button:

onRelease = function(){
          _root.gotoAndStop(2);
          }

why 2? because i suppose you will put "about me" section on frame 2

good luck
          • 2. Re: CONVERT SWF / FLA FILES TO MOVIE CLIPS
            liamfahy Level 1
            Hi,

Firstly thankyou so much for your reply - it's extremely helpful.

I have decided to try and follow your steps to sort my problems out and get my site working! But I get a little lost half way through. Lets take the aboutme.fla as an example:

I have created a folder called Aboutme and put everything in the library into it.

I then select all the frames in the fla file from 0 to the end and copy them.

Now here I get lost - you say: "then go to the newly created main.fla, and create a new keyframe, press CTRL+F8 to create a new movieclip, and then paste in the movieclip all those frames that you copied"

But where is the newly created main.fla file? Do you mean I need to actually go to "File", "New" and create a new file?

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND IF YOU COULD OFFER SOME MORE ADVISE I'D BE VERY GRATEFUL.

Here's my email address just incase its easier to contact each other this way:

liamfahy7@hotmail.com
            • 3. Re: CONVERT SWF / FLA FILES TO MOVIE CLIPS
              liamfahy Level 1
              HI AGAIN!

Just quickly...

I'm having trouble converting an entire .fla file to a movie clip.

I select all the frames in the fla file.

then go to a new document sized correctly and create a movie clip symbol.

then I use "pate in place" and paste what I copied into frame 1 of this movie clip.

But this doesn't seem to work - I just get a static image of the page rather than the moving movie clip.

What am I doing wrong??

thanks a million!
              • 4. Re: CONVERT SWF / FLA FILES TO MOVIE CLIPS
                Level 7
                > What am I doing wrong??

See my reply in sitedesign.

--
                -------------------------------
                Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail
                -------------------------------