5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2006 11:52 AM by _m

Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004

_m
      i recently upgraded to a new computer and had to reinstall Fireworks. the installation of Fireworks on my old machine had flat gray backgrounds on the document tabs and palette titlebars. on this new installation (using the same install CD), there are blue gradients on palette titlebars and the document tabs. while doing design work, i'd much prefer to have a neutral gray interface.

i've disabled XP theme support, since i prefer to use the "Windows Classic" interface. if i re-enable theme support and switch from the Blue to Silver theme, the colors in Fireworks will change to silver gradients. however, then i have to deal with the chunky title bars and other eye candy of the Luna theme. when i switch back to my customized "Windows Classic" theme, the blue gradients return.

so - does anyone know how to get Macromedia MX 2004 apps to ignore XP's themes? i already enabled the "Disable Visual Themes" option under the "Compatibility" tab of the right-click "Properties" menu on both the application itself and the related shortcuts. it doesn't seem to have any effect.

i'm running XP Pro with SP2. this is such a bother that i'm thinking about reformatting my hard drive and installing my old copy of XP Pro, even though i just spent the whole weekend tweaking this SP2 installation.
        • 1. Re: Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004
          Level 7
          _m wrote:
          > i recently upgraded to a new computer and had to reinstall Fireworks. the
          > installation of Fireworks on my old machine had flat gray backgrounds on the
          > document tabs and palette titlebars. on this new installation (using the same
          > install CD), there are blue gradients on palette titlebars and the document
          > tabs. while doing design work, i'd much prefer to have a neutral gray interface.

The Windows Classic interface has blue gradients on the titlebars in Win
          XP. You can change those to flat gray in the Windows Display Properties
          dialog box. Choose the Appearance tab, and then click on the Advanced
          button. That will change the titlebar color in Fireworks as well.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004
            _m Level 1
            hi Linda,

thanks for your response, but your suggestion doesn't specifically apply to my stated problem. i am referring to the document tabs and palette titles, not the window title. all the colors specified in the "Advanced" section of "Display Properties" are gray or black.

in the following screenshot, you can see that the colors used in the titlebar and and the colors used in the Fireworks interface are dissimilar:

http://www.mimesis.nl/tips/images/fir_e02.jpg

after many attempts at changing this, i've decided that it's impossible. i plan to revert to my previous version of Windows XP just to get around this - it's really that much of a problem for me. Fireworks wants to interface with the XP theming system. if the theming system is turned off, it uses blue, assuming that it should match the default Luna theme as a last resort. all of the recent Macromedia programs actually have these colors in the interface (MX 2004 and Studio 8). bad idea.

• 3. Re: Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004
              _m Level 1
              hi Linda,

thanks for your response, but your suggestion doesn't specifically apply to my stated problem. i am referring to the document tabs and palette titles, not the window title. all the colors specified in the "Advanced" section of "Display Properties" are gray or black.

in the following screenshot, you can see that the colors used in the titlebar and and the colors used in the Fireworks interface are dissimilar:

http://www.mimesis.nl/tips/images/fir_e02.jpg

after many attempts at changing this, i've decided that it's impossible. i plan to revert to my previous version of Windows XP just to get around this - it's really that much of a problem for me. Fireworks wants to interface with the XP theming system. if the theming system is turned off, it uses blue, assuming that it should match the default Luna theme as a last resort. all of the recent Macromedia programs actually have these colors in the interface (MX 2004 and Studio 8). bad idea.

• 4. Re: Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004
                Level 7
                _m wrote:
                > hi Linda,
                >
                > thanks for your response, but your suggestion doesn't specifically apply to my
                > stated problem. i am referring to the document tabs and palette titles, not the
                > window title. all the colors specified in the "Advanced" section of "Display
                > Properties" are gray or black.
                >
                > in the following screenshot, you can see that the colors used in the titlebar
                > and and the colors used in the Fireworks interface are dissimilar:
                >
                > http://www.mimesis.nl/tips/images/fir_e02.jpg

Your screen shot is a bit too small fir me to see what's going on. I've
                created a little demo movie to show you how it works on my machine. Note
                that not only do the active titlebars change color, but the UI style has
                reverted to the Windows Classical one, with 3D buttons instead of the
                flat ones that change on mouseover .

http://www.playingwithfire.com/titlebars.htm

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
                • 5. Re: Disable XP Theme support in Fireworks MX 2004
                  _m Level 1
                  amazing - it works! i am deeply appreciative that you took the time to make a video tutorial for a total stranger. it was very helpful.

i didn't think your solution applied to my problem because i had already changed my Active Title Bar colors before installing Fireworks. i followed your tutorial to the letter and it worked.

at first, i thought that Fireworks simply needed me to re-apply the color settings - maybe a software bug that wasn't catching the correct titlebar color after the first installation. in fact, what happens is that Fireworks will only support colors that appear in the simplified color picker (20 colors) that first appears under the Advanced Appearance window. Fireworks was ignoring my color settings because i had specified my own RGB color to match my desktop color. if i pick solid black, bright red, or any of the other 18 colors in the simplified color picker, Fireworks will match its titlebars to XP's settings. if i type in my own RGB code, or pick certain colors from the expanded Windows color picker that appears after clicking the "Other..." colors button, Fireworks reverts to the blue color scheme.

so - a strange and perplexing software behavior, but i'm more than happy to accept solid black titlebars instead of the pastel blues that Fireworks wanted to use initially. thanks again for taking the time to share your solution - hopefully this thread will also help someone else who was being drive crazy by having color in their graphics app's interface.