3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2008 3:29 PM by matthew stuart

CSS Scrulptor extension problems please help

PinkTomato
      I have been following the release of CSSScrulptor by Eric Meyer ever since it was released. Since I have little knowledge about CSS I thought this might be a perfect tool for me to get started and learn at the same time. So yesterday I decided to purchase the program from Webassist. Now I am not so sure I should have. First the program won’t recognize the serial number that I typed in by hand. After the menu opened up I tried to put in some values. “Live Preview” does not work and “Apply” button also grays out. When I pressed inside the Live Preview window, multiple FireFox windows popped up which has “ -32 ” inside each window. After that happened Dreamweaver CS3 crashed and I got an error message saying “Because of known issue of Dreamweaver CS3 on Mac OS X, this functionality has been intercepted. Please click OK and choose File> New CSS Sculptor Page.” Then I get the same message when I follow the instructions. When I tried help> WebAssist it opened up a blank page and gave me this message “Firefox can't find the file at /MacIntosh HD/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS3/Configuration/Shared/WebAssist/CSSSculptor/Help/index.htm#home.htm.” I called support and they could not help me with this issue. They told me that I have a rare problem that they have never seen before.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
        • 1. Re: CSS Scrulptor extension problems please help
          Level 7
          Instead of spending you money (wow... $ 99.99) on webassist extension
          that do layout for you you should have spent 24.95 on a great book and
          learnt how to do it yourself.

If I should recommend a good book I suggest any of the two
          http://simplebits.com/publications/

PinkTomato skrev:
          > I have been following the release of CSSScrulptor by Eric Meyer ever since it
          > was released. Since I have little knowledge about CSS I thought this might be a
          > perfect tool for me to get started and learn at the same time. So yesterday I
          > decided to purchase the program from Webassist. Now I am not so sure I should
          > have. First the program won?t recognize the serial number that I typed in by
          > hand. After the menu opened up I tried to put in some values. ?Live Preview?
          > does not work and ?Apply? button also grays out. When I pressed inside the Live
          > Preview window, multiple FireFox windows popped up which has ? -32 ? inside
          > each window. After that happened Dreamweaver CS3 crashed and I got an error
          > message saying ?Because of known issue of Dreamweaver CS3 on Mac OS X, this
          > functionality has been intercepted. Please click OK and choose File> New CSS
          > Sculptor Page.? Then I get the same message when I follow the instructions.
          > When I tried help> WebAssist it opened up a blank page and gave me this message
          > ?Firefox can't find the file at /MacIntosh HD/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver
          > CS3/Configuration/Shared/WebAssist/CSSSculptor/Help/index.htm#home.htm.? I
          > called support and they could not help me with this issue. They told me that I
          > have a rare problem that they have never seen before.
          >
          > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
          >
          >

--
          Kim
          ---------------------------
          http://www.geekministry.com

• 2. Re: CSS Scrulptor extension problems please help
            Level 7
            Take this to the WebAssist support forums please.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"PinkTomato" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g7i4qn$9hl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have been following the release of CSSScrulptor by Eric Meyer ever since
            >it
            > was released. Since I have little knowledge about CSS I thought this might
            > be a
            > perfect tool for me to get started and learn at the same time. So
            > yesterday I
            > decided to purchase the program from Webassist. Now I am not so sure I
            > should
            > have. First the program won?t recognize the serial number that I typed in
            > by
            > hand. After the menu opened up I tried to put in some values. ?Live
            > Preview?
            > does not work and ?Apply? button also grays out. When I pressed inside the
            > Live
            > Preview window, multiple FireFox windows popped up which has ? -32 ?
            > inside
            > each window. After that happened Dreamweaver CS3 crashed and I got an
            > error
            > message saying ?Because of known issue of Dreamweaver CS3 on Mac OS X,
            > this
            > functionality has been intercepted. Please click OK and choose File> New
            > CSS
            > Sculptor Page.? Then I get the same message when I follow the
            > instructions.
            > When I tried help> WebAssist it opened up a blank page and gave me this
            > message
            > ?Firefox can't find the file at /MacIntosh HD/Applications/Adobe
            > Dreamweaver
            > CS3/Configuration/Shared/WebAssist/CSSSculptor/Help/index.htm#home.htm.? I
            > called support and they could not help me with this issue. They told me
            > that I
            > have a rare problem that they have never seen before.
            >
            > Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
            >

• 3. Re: CSS Scrulptor extension problems please help
              matthew stuart Level 2
              I've got this extention and it is quite good I find. But, one of your problems you mentioned was the apply button not working. I came across this and spent half-an-hour trying to get the damned thing to work and then gave up and went to bed!

Anyway, the next day, I tried again and just by fluke I hit the tab key and the settings applied, so it would seem the apply button doesn't work, but the tab key does.

Also, you might find that if you are trying to write to external style sheets, you will need to physically create empty style sheets before you start so that when the done button is clicked, it has somewhere to load all of the styles to. This might be one of the problems giving you multiple windows.

I have no problem working with css in most cases, but my big failing with it is having a full understanding of how I can create a layout with css and divs. I have been looking at this for what seems an eternity and not getting anywhere. The WA extension has actually enabled me to understand how this 'science' works.

I'm guessing because you're on a Mac that you are a graphic designer used to drawing boxes in quark/indesign and styling text with style sheets. It wasn't until a few months back that Murray mentioned something in a previous post that made me realise that css for layout/structure required two parts of exactly the same name. One resides in the css, and the other in the body of the html in div tags, BUT, these structure styles are not visible in the stylesheet list where you apply a style to text or a table, and that is a big difference to the likes of quark/indesign. It was at that point the penny dropped for me.

Anyway, the WA extention is a good tool for divs (like me), but if it can't be resolved, I'd demand a refund.