4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2006 4:54 PM by kfielder

Context Sensitive Help in Visual Studio

kfielder
      I posted this on the HTML forum, but I didn't get a response, so I thought I'd give it a shot here. I’m using VB .Net with Visual Studio 2005. I have context sensitive help working with my HTML help project using the Help Provider. (I’m not using a map file.) Everything works except I can’t figure out how to specify the window. Does anyone have any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Visual Studio
          MergeThis Level 4
          You probably received no response because of this: "Everything works except I can’t figure out how to specify the window."

I'm stumped as to just what the heck that means.
          • 2. Context Sensitive Help in Visual Studio
            kfielder Level 1
            Sorry, it made sense in my little head.

By "everything works" I meant that help does come up to the proper topic when you press F1 at a from in the application; I just can't figure out how to specify the target window.

Basically, I have my main help project opening in the tri-pane window with the browse sequence, table of contents, etc. When they push F1 to open the context sensitive help from a form in the application, I want to use a smaller window without all of the bells and whistles. I have the two windows defined in my project, but I can’t figure out how to specify the target window in which the help should open using the Help Provider in Visual Studio. I was hoping someone here would know where to put the window call and whether you need to use Target=”WindowName” or some other syntax.
            • 3. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Visual Studio
              des5280 Level 1
              Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue and haven't found a solution yet.

In the application, I have designated the .chm file as the HelpNameSpace and selected topic as the helpNavigator property mapping to the .htm that correlates to the form.

I see that TOC is also a HelpNavigator property option, but I can't figure out what to use in order to get it to work.
              • 4. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Visual Studio
                kfielder Level 1
                Unfortunately I never did figure it out. I ended up creating a separate help project for context sensitive help and using a different default window than my main project. Sorry.