10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2007 6:02 AM by FredPeterson

Bug in contribute with Windows FTP

jerry2000-EXoaQz
      I have Windows FTP server 2003 with WIndows FTP. I tried COntribute 3, but the problem is that after I edit and publish file it says Ican not edit it any more as it is used. But the LCK file IS SUCESSFULLY deleted.

After few hours of digging into, I found out it gives this error on test connect:

Change Permission test: The ChMod test did not run because ChMod is not implemente non this FTP server.
      ----------------------- FTP log from the last operation ----------------------
      > CWD /httpdocs/mm_diagnose_72ats
      < 250 CWD command successful.
      > SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.htm
      < 500 'SITE CHMOD 755 rename_test3_parent_.htm': command not understood
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Cleaning Test File: The server is unable to delete a file. Some anonymous account users have restricted use of the Delete operation. Check with your server administrator to ensure that you are authorized to delete files. Due to this failure, Contribute could not clean up the test folder "mm_diagnose".
      ----------------------- FTP log from the last operation ----------------------
      > CWD /httpdocs/mm_diagnose_72ats
      < 250 CWD command successful.
      > DELE upload_test1_reg_.htm
      < 550 upload_test1_reg_.htm: The system cannot find the file specified.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Cleaning Test File: SUCCESS!
      Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!
      Cleaning Test Directory: SUCCESS!
      Summary: The server is compatible with Contribute 3.0 using the options selected.

As you can see Contribute is mistaken that delete doesn't work, but it does. It did delete the test files. Same thing happens with LCK files I guess. COntribute deletes them but thinks that it didn't delete them so editing is blocked until I exit and enter the program again. So I can edit page only ONCE :-(((

This is clearly a bug in COntribute 3.1 or am I missing something?

Jerry
        • 1. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
          jerry2000-EXoaQz Level 1
          Hi there

There is nobody from Adobe here on Adobe forums that can look into this bug???
          • 2. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
            jerry2000-EXoaQz Level 1
            The support on this forum is remarkable. 6 months and no answer.

I guess this is only a bad product :-(
            • 3. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
              FredPeterson
              I am experiencing the same thing, though with Contribute 2.01 and Contribute 4.0.

Although to note: the FTP server actually connects to a remote storage UNC path. Our web server does not store the files locally, they are all on a remote NAS device and therefore FTP operates the same way. In testing if I move the FTP back to a local storage, the problem goes away. I have a user who is using Dreamweaver (a web designer with root access to the entire site) and has absolutely no problems and she accesses FTP no differently then the Contribute users who update individual areas within the Intranet site.

Virtual Directories are setup correct to redirect users out to the UNC location on the NAS device, permissions are correct, but yet this error happens. I watch with FILEMON and see that as the OP says, the .lck file is deleted but then Contribute goes ahead and looks for the file again anyway only to see its not there and then give the access denied error message. If I click "Make editable" it gives me the same error message. If I wait a couple minutes and do it again then it goes through. Even though I get the message about it being access denied when I click publish, the published changes still make it through. Good Game Contribute, nice work.

I see the same thing with the FTP Checker application as the original poster does as well.

This is eternally frustrating. I changed the web server from Windows 2000 in an old NT domain using WarFTP to 2003 using IIS FTP in an AD domain with the storage on a NAS device using NTFS permissions for everything. I expected absolutely no problems doing this as FTP is..well, FTP. Why these changes are affecting Contribute is driving me nuts. I know I can configure people to access the files directly...but I really don't want to do that unless there is no other way to prevent this problem.

I dread trying to call Adobe/Macromedia and work this out with them.
              • 4. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                JSimmerin
                I'm having the exact same problem since moving my websites to a new VPS (Virtual Private Server) using "Microsoft FTP." I'm at a loss as to what can be done. Did you find that changing to a different FTP client made a difference? I don't expect any help from Adobe on this, so I'm wondering if you've solved the problem.
                • 5. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                  FredPeterson Level 1
                  A different FTP client will work - but what good does that do when Contribute is supposed to be a full blown WYSIWYG publishing application....
                  • 6. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                    JSimmerin Level 1
                    I'm currently testing Gene6 FTP. It's better than Microsoft FTP but still problematic
                    • 7. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                      lukaro
                      Hi

Is this related to the FTP permissions you have set on the relevant directory on the server?

What is the current FTP permissions of the relevant folder on the server? Is it Chmod 755? If it is, is there a way you can change it to Chmod 777 and will that solve the problem??

Rgds

lukaro
                      • 8. Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                        lukaro Level 1
                        Hi

Is this related to the FTP permissions you have set on the relevant directory on the server?

What is the current FTP permissions of the relevant folder on the server? Is it Chmod 755? If it is, is there a way you can change it to Chmod 777 and will that solve the problem??

Rgds

lukaro
                        • 9. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                          lukaro Level 1
                          Maybe this is related to the fact that Chmod etc is Unix whereas you are using Microsoft FTP servers so the expected status messages Contribute needs aren't being generated.

Rgds

lukaro
                          • 10. Re: Bug in contribute with Windows FTP
                            FredPeterson Level 1
                            It could be that, but I keep going back to - why does Dreamweaver work without problem? Unless the Macromedia company was so horribly dispersed that the FTP code base within the programming between the two applications was completely different, I would expect to see no difference in terms of how the two applications function.

But to your question I would consider the difference, in terms of Windows, being Modify rights vs Full Control - in which case it doesn't matter. I have been doing my testing with my Domain Administrator credentials and it has complete Full Control over the entire file structure.