4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2006 10:13 PM by notta

Help with Text Effect

notta
      Hi, I'm just learning Flash and I'm in the process of making an autorun CD for work. What I would like to do is have the last word of the logo have something subtle like a gradient going through the last 3 letters and than looping after x amount of time. I want the fill to happen inside the logo letter and than move to the second letter and than the third letter and repeat, but with a pause.

I imagine you do this with a mask, but I'm having a tough time with it. Flash tutorials seem to be dominated by one site on the web that seems very outdated and very unorganized, so I wasn't able to find a tutorial to help me with this. Also if you could list some good sites with tutorials that would be great. Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Help with Text Effect
          Level 7

notta wrote:
          > Hi, I'm just learning Flash and I'm in the process of making an autorun CD for
          > work. What I would like to do is have the last word of the logo have something
          > subtle like a gradient going through the last 3 letters and than looping after
          > x amount of time. I want the fill to happen inside the logo letter and than
          > move to the second letter and than the third letter and repeat, but with a
          > pause.

something like that kind of "light highlight" ? you can see in some sites or movies ?

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Help with Text Effect
            notta Level 1
            thanks for the reply. Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by the "light highlight." Let me try to explain. If I have the word "THE" in white text on a background than I would like some black text to sweep from the left "T" through the "H" and than run through the E and than loop again. I don't want the black text to just pop over top of the white text in full, but more like gradient from the left through the letter and than onto the next letter. Now black was only an example, but I would like to maybe use a gradient fill for the color on top. See what I'm saying?
            • 3. Re: Help with Text Effect
              Level 7

notta wrote:
              > thanks for the reply. Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by the "light
              > highlight." Let me try to explain. If I have the word "THE" in white text on a
              > background than I would like some black text to sweep from the left "T" through
              > the "H" and than run through the E and than loop again. I don't want the black
              > text to just pop over top of the white text in full, but more like gradient
              > from the left through the letter and than onto the next letter. Now black was
              > only an example, but I would like to maybe use a gradient fill for the color on
              > top. See what I'm saying?

try this:
              make a layer wit THE in it, copy CTRL C the THE and create new layer.
              Paste it in place using CTRL SHIFT V
              Now make animation under that top layer and convert it to mask.
              The THE in top layer will define VIEW area and any animation will appear
              above the text which you pasted on the bottom layer.

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
              If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
              </urami>
              • 4. Help with Text Effect
                notta Level 1
                I just tried it, but I might be doing it wrong. I would like the word "THE" to stay on the screen the entire time, but the way I have it it disappears and only appears when my animation runs below it. Another thing when I create the animation that starts before the T in THE and ends after the letter E in the THE than I can't read the text because the other letters also go under the letters that they shouldn't. Example, "THE" comes from the left and the T goes under the T, but also the H and E go under the T and make it unreadable 66% of the time. Same thing down the line. Am I doing something wrong?

How do I get only the T to show under the T and same for H and E?