5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2006 9:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

Tweening Issue

Sparks_333
      Hey all,

I've just started in flash and I'm making a fairly complicated one (for my skill level, lol) and I'm having a bit of a problem with a particular aspect of tweening.

I've got an arm, in two sections (upper and lower) and I'm trying to raise the arm by rotating the section and moving it up. When i run the movie, the parts just twist before snapping into their new position or they twist and move half the way before snapping into their new position.

Am I doing this wrong? If so, how can I rotate and move an object smoothly?

Oh and I have got them in seperate layers and made them into movie clips.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.
        • 1. Re: Tweening Issue
          Level 7
          Don't flip them from one keyframe to the other - if you do then the tween will make them "twist".
          What you are doing is called "cut-out" style animation - a 2D flat object being tweened from 1
          position to another - but in your case you have also flipped it (probably) and so, since flash is 2D
          and there is no 3rd dimension - the flat 2D object gets calculated a different way - why not try and
          rotate on a hinged point?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

Sparks_333 wrote:
          > Hey all,
          >
          > I've just started in flash and I'm making a fairly complicated one (for my
          > skill level, lol) and I'm having a bit of a problem with a particular aspect of
          > tweening.
          >
          > I've got an arm, in two sections (upper and lower) and I'm trying to raise the
          > arm by rotating the section and moving it up. When i run the movie, the parts
          > just twist before snapping into their new position or they twist and move half
          > the way before snapping into their new position.
          >
          > Am I doing this wrong? If so, how can I rotate and move an object smoothly?
          >
          > Oh and I have got them in seperate layers and made them into movie clips.
          >
          > Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.
          >
          • 2. Re: Tweening Issue
            Sparks_333 Level 1
            I think that's what I'm doing. Using the Free Transform Tool, I've moved the white circle in the middle to the "elbow" and rotated the piece, then in the same keyframe i've moved the arm up. I don't think I've flipped it. Any suggestions?
            • 3. Re: Tweening Issue
              Level 7
              make sure the center point is *exactly* the same (position) for both keyframes.

--> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

Sparks_333 wrote:
              > I think that's what I'm doing. Using the Free Transform Tool, I've moved the
              > white circle in the middle to the "elbow" and rotated the piece, then in the
              > same keyframe i've moved the arm up. I don't think I've flipped it. Any
              > suggestions?
              >
              • 4. Re: Tweening Issue
                Sparks_333 Level 1
                Ahh that's done the trick. I must have put in the new keyframes before setting the rotate point.

Thanks heaps for taking some time to help a newbie.

Cheers!
                • 5. Re: Tweening Issue
                  Level 7
                  no problem - glad we worked it out :)

--> www.mudbubble.com
                  --> www.keyframer.com

Sparks_333 wrote:
                  > Ahh that's done the trick. I must have put in the new keyframes before setting the rotate point.
                  >
                  > Thanks heaps for taking some time to help a newbie.
                  >
                  > Cheers!