3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2006 6:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

Any point sticking with Fireworks when there's illustrator?

john jcc
      Hi All.
      I made the jump from PS to FW about & years ago and have been loyal to it. Designed nearly 100 sites with it. I now how Creative Suite. I wonder if I should just jump to Illustrator now?

If it does everything that FW does and is:
      more commonly on client's machines,
      more common client File Format - is also more commonly sent by designers to me as a graphical asset - when I'm designing etc.
      Is more powerful,
      More adaptable to print uses,
      More Integrated with Photoshop which is more standard and common as an App and format,

Then shouldn't I change? I toyed with the idea of using PS again for web-design but i find the Layer Mask alternative to FW's vectro drawing quite annoying. I wonder if I should use Illustrator and PS together.

This is probably an old issue but I haven't found any compelling discussions on it here or in teh AI forum.
      Thanks!
      John.
        • 1. Re: Any point sticking with Fireworks when there's illustrator?
          Level 7
          Oops, double post!
          John

"john jcc" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ehi5lm$a1c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi All.
          > I made the jump from PS to FW about & years ago and have been loyal to it.
          > Designed nearly 100 sites with it. I now how Creative Suite. I wonder if I
          > should just jump to Illustrator now?
          >
          > If it does everything that FW does and is:
          > more commonly on client's machines,
          > more common client File Format - is also more commonly sent by designers
          > to me
          > as a graphical asset - when I'm designing etc.
          > Is more powerful,
          > More adaptable to print uses,
          > More Integrated with Photoshop which is more standard and common as an App
          > and
          > format,
          >
          > Then shouldn't I change? I toyed with the idea of using PS again for
          > web-design but i find the Layer Mask alternative to FW's vectro drawing
          > quite
          > annoying. I wonder if I should use Illustrator and PS together.
          >
          > This is probably an old issue but I haven't found any compelling
          > discussions
          > on it here or in teh AI forum.
          > Thanks!
          > John.
          >

• 2. Re: Any point sticking with Fireworks when there's   illustrator?
            Level 7
            john jcc wrote:
            > Hi All.
            > I made the jump from PS to FW about & years ago and have been loyal to it.
            > Designed nearly 100 sites with it. I now how Creative Suite. I wonder if I
            > should just jump to Illustrator now?
            >
            > If it does everything that FW does and is:
            > more commonly on client's machines,
            > more common client File Format - is also more commonly sent by designers to me
            > as a graphical asset - when I'm designing etc.
            > Is more powerful,
            > More adaptable to print uses,
            > More Integrated with Photoshop which is more standard and common as an App and
            > format,
            >
            > Then shouldn't I change? I toyed with the idea of using PS again for
            > web-design but i find the Layer Mask alternative to FW's vectro drawing quite
            > annoying. I wonder if I should use Illustrator and PS together.
            >
            > This is probably an old issue but I haven't found any compelling discussions
            > on it here or in teh AI forum.
            > Thanks!
            > John.
            >
            Maybe this article will help......
            http://tinyurl.com/qp4rm

SKB
            • 3. Re: Any point sticking with Fireworks when there's   illustrator?
              Level 7
              Thanks SKB, I read that. It confirms everything that I've said about it for
              years. However, whatever company I've worked in the issue always comes up
              of:

. Can you not use Photoshop? It's more common. We all have it here and so do
              the clients.
              . The client wants a template PSD so they can output their own images to the
              site - can you just save the PNG as PSD? No, it's not that simple.

Also, I see some great work being done with Photoshop's image editing tools
              and brushes. I wish i could learn and use that in my designs.

"SKB" <skb@shouldbefun.com> wrote in message
              news:ehieeh$k1u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > john jcc wrote:
              >> Hi All.
              >> I made the jump from PS to FW about & years ago and have been loyal to
              >> it. Designed nearly 100 sites with it. I now how Creative Suite. I wonder
              >> if I should just jump to Illustrator now?
              >>
              >> If it does everything that FW does and is:
              >> more commonly on client's machines,
              >> more common client File Format - is also more commonly sent by designers
              >> to me as a graphical asset - when I'm designing etc.
              >> Is more powerful,
              >> More adaptable to print uses,
              >> More Integrated with Photoshop which is more standard and common as an
              >> App and format,
              >>
              >> Then shouldn't I change? I toyed with the idea of using PS again for
              >> web-design but i find the Layer Mask alternative to FW's vectro drawing
              >> quite annoying. I wonder if I should use Illustrator and PS together.
              >>
              >> This is probably an old issue but I haven't found any compelling
              >> discussions on it here or in teh AI forum.
              >> Thanks!
              >> John.
              >>
              > Maybe this article will help......
              > http://tinyurl.com/qp4rm
              >
              > SKB