3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2006 2:21 AM by AndrewBarton

Control printing

AndrewBarton
      Hi,

Is it possible to control printing FlashPaper documents from ActionScript?
      I have been asked to develop an e-commerce site where the purchased 'deliverable' is a single printed copy of a document. Saving, cutting and pasting and multiple printed copies are not allowable.
      I'd like to use Flash and FlashPaper to create this site if possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andrew
        • 1. Re: Control printing
          AndrewBarton Level 1
          Anyone???

quote:

Originally posted by: AndrewBarton
          Hi,

Is it possible to control printing FlashPaper documents from ActionScript?
          I have been asked to develop an e-commerce site where the purchased 'deliverable' is a single printed copy of a document. Saving, cutting and pasting and multiple printed copies are not allowable.
          I'd like to use Flash and FlashPaper to create this site if possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Control printing
            Level 7
            I think the answer is "no".

I have been evaluating FlashPaper for just the same reason as you, but I can't see a way
            to protect from printing. Because FlashPaper is embedded in a browser, the top level of
            prevention is to prevent printing in such a way that any browser (IE, Firefox, etc)
            cannot print it. The problem is that you can't reliably inhibit a browser's Print
            function - by "reliably", I mean that there are easy workarounds.

The second level of prevention is to inhibit FlashPaper from sending a printable image
            to the print function.

"AndrewBarton" wrote...
            > Anyone???
            >
            >
            quote:

Originally posted by: AndrewBarton
            > Hi,
            >
            > Is it possible to control printing FlashPaper documents from ActionScript?
            > I have been asked to develop an e-commerce site where the purchased
            > 'deliverable' is a single printed copy of a document. Saving, cutting and
            > pasting and multiple printed copies are not allowable.
            > I'd like to use Flash and FlashPaper to create this site if possible.
            >
            > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Andrew

>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Control printing
              AndrewBarton Level 1
              Thanks for your reply, Coach.

I've given up on using FlashPaper for this project and instead using Flash, ActionScript and the PrintJob class.
              It has its 'issues' but is the nearest I'm going to get within the customer's remit!

Regards,

Andrew