4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2006 7:04 PM by Newsgroup_User

    Exporting vectors in RGB

    Haravikk
      Okay, fairly simply I'm using Flash MX 2004 (v7.2) and have used it to draw a piece of vector artwork incorporating a lot of nice shading and a really beautiful blood-red colour.

      I now want to export the image to Photoshop for printing off in a large size, about 35" x 25" at 250 dpi, that means an image with dimensions greater than 8000 x 8000. Flash will not allow me to export this as a bitmap as a result.
      So I figured I'd export as illustrator instead, as I've done this before with little problem with other images.

      However, exporting as illustrator, or EPS formats seems to do so in some screwy colour settings, as my blood red is turned to a horrible dull faded red/brown colour, destroying my image! Which is extremely odd as both EPS and illustrator formats should support Flash's RGB profile quite happily!

      What I want to know is either:
      - Can a later version of Flash (available for Mac as well) export this image without these problems?
      or (preferably)
      - How can I export in v7.2 without ruining my image at the sizes I require?

      It's really horrible to have my image exactly as I want it in Flash, knowing that with vectors I can scale it to any size, but not be able to get it out without the result being nothing alike! =(
        • 1. Re: Exporting vectors in RGB
          Level 7


          Haravikk wrote:
          > Okay, fairly simply I'm using Flash MX 2004 (v7.2) and have used it to draw a
          > piece of vector artwork incorporating a lot of nice shading and a really
          > beautiful blood-red colour.
          > However, exporting as illustrator, or EPS formats seems to do so in some
          > screwy colour settings, as my blood red is turned to a horrible dull faded
          > red/brown colour, destroying my image! Which is extremely odd as both EPS and
          > illustrator formats should support Flash's RGB profile quite happily!


          It has not much to do with actual flash. It's illustrator. Keep in mind that AI
          is CMYK and you can never get the same color after converting from RGB.
          Why not try to do it directly in AI instead ? Use pantone colors to try to match
          your red. Pantone can get very nice reds.





          --
          Best Regards

          Urami


          --


          <urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Exporting vectors in RGB
            Haravikk Level 1
            Hmm, I dug out my old copy of Illustrator and got that to work, changing the colours back (a huge pain though) and it seems fine.
            However, I still can't figure out why the colours are so radically different in the file exported by Flash, as when I change the image from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop there is only a minimal amount of fading (corrected by adding a bit more contrast). It's not the same horrible loss of colour as I found in the Flash exported file, which looked more like brown than red, the actual change from RGB to CMYK is still clearly red, just looks like there was a drop in contrast which isn't a big deal.
            • 3. Re: Exporting vectors in RGB
              Level 7
              I just answered this yesterday here....copy/paste it:

              Yeah man - the issue is flash is RGB and colors usually get converted to CMYK when opened in AI. But
              there is a simple fix :)

              When you export from flash to AI - notice the latest AI version you can export to is version 6. So,
              open AI and go to Edit > Color Settings...in the very first drop down menu ("Settings...") select
              "EMULATE ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR 6.0"
              Now just open your AI file exported from flash in Illustrator - then go to File > Document Color
              Mode and select RGB.

              ******************************************
              --> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com




              Haravikk wrote:
              > Hmm, I dug out my old copy of Illustrator and got that to work, changing the
              > colours back (a huge pain though) and it seems fine.
              > However, I still can't figure out why the colours are so radically different
              > in the file exported by Flash, as when I change the image from RGB to CMYK in
              > Photoshop there is only a minimal amount of fading (corrected by adding a bit
              > more contrast). It's not the same horrible loss of colour as I found in the
              > Flash exported file, which looked more like brown than red, the actual change
              > from RGB to CMYK is still clearly red, just looks like there was a drop in
              > contrast which isn't a big deal.
              >
              • 4. Re: Exporting vectors in RGB
                Level 7


                Chris Georgenes wrote:
                > I just answered this yesterday here....copy/paste it:
                >
                > Yeah man - the issue is flash is RGB and colors usually get converted to
                > CMYK when opened in AI. But there is a simple fix :)
                >
                > When you export from flash to AI - notice the latest AI version you can
                > export to is version 6. So, open AI and go to Edit > Color Settings...in
                > the very first drop down menu ("Settings...") select "EMULATE ADOBE
                > ILLUSTRATOR 6.0"
                > Now just open your AI file exported from flash in Illustrator - then go

                Thanks for that tip, I'm not much of illustrator person so this will definitely
                be useful.